• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Projector room blackout

marty1

I can't convince my wife to have the room painted in dark colours in order to get the best quality from my projector, aubergine colour walls would be her compramise but I thought that instead, we can keep the room with bright coloured walls and put curtain tracks running all the way along the side walls and hang curtains that go from floor to ceiling.

The curtains need to be black velvet as this apparantly reflects the least amount of light.

On one wall we have windows so 1 of the curtains needs to be blackout.

What would be the cheapest and best way of doing this? bear in mind I have zero D.I.Y. skills :(

Regards
Marty

Crooksey

In my opinion curtains will look naff.

Your best option would be to paint it magnolia, put the PJ up and see how you get on. If your mrs complains about viewing it you can then paint it!

marty1

In my opinion curtains will look naff.

Your best option would be to paint it magnolia, put the PJ up and see how you get on. If your mrs complains about viewing it you can then paint it!

Isn't magnolia too bright? The idea was to have better picture quality and more screen involvement, we have a flat matt gentle fawn colour on the walls and the whole room illuminates, I continuously am reminded I am in a living room.

marty1

Would an aubergine colour be any good, I really like your decor mate :smashin:

When the lights are out does that ivory suede paint give you good blackout?

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Used to have a dedicated room
Black out blinds,black out curtains and even a black ceiling (along with dark red walls)

However now I have my PJ in our bedroom I cant have that

However to assist black out conditions I got a large piece of blackout material (from Dunelm) cut to size that that it fits inside the window frame - then using velcro I just attach it (takes ten seconds) when watching a film in the day

davehk

I have a matt aubergine finish on the bay walls and ceiling that frames my screen and it work very well. Not sure I'd want a whole room that colour though :)

marty1

I found a great colour from B&Q :smashin:

It really blacks out the room well but doesn't look depressing in daylight, it actually looks quite stylish, to my taste that is :rolleyes:

It is Graham & Brown Plummy Accent flat matt, it works very well with our chocolate brown couches and gentle fawn carpet.

From the same range we picked Pearly Queen for the ceiling, it's brighter but still a lot darker than the white ceiling we have now and darker than the walls originally were, so I am hoping it will not be too reflective :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom