Projector RGB Gain/Bias/CMY?

Marcus96

Established Member
Reaction score
The projector I am currectly using at the moment is an Optoma HD600X-lv (AKA HD66) and I have recently purchased a calibration/setup disc (Disney World of Wonder). I have managed to get Brightness/Contrast etc set correctly and it has been very helpful to me. These are the settings I came up with so far for an HDMI source:

Brightness: 43, Contrast: 65, Sharpness: 15, Degramma: Film, Brilliant Color: 0, Color Temp: Warm.

However, when it came to calibrating color (where I use the blue filter), I have a patern where the "Blue and White" squares should blend into one (none should be brighter than the other) I don't have the option for Color or Saturation in the menu, but if I go into the advanced color options, It gives me the options to adjust the Gain and Bias of each individual color.

So, if this patern is showing on the screen, with the blue filter infront of my eyes, both the white and blue look slightly different brightnesses but then I bumped the blue gain up by about 5 clicks, it becomes all one square (correct color setting). So then if I increase the red and green gains too, does that give me the correct color setting for my projector?

I don't know what the Bias settings are, so I just left them, i'm pretty sure there nothing to do with the color settings i'm looking for.

Now for TINT, I set increased the Cyan, Magenta and Yellow up by 5 too and the test patern also indicated that my TINT setting was correct.

So are the settings I am using correct and am I doing the correct thing here? The settings I am using now for all of R/G/B Gain and Cyan/Magenta/Yellow are on 5.

I recommend that you read the 'greyscale calibration for dummies' thread as there is much information on there, even if you don't possess a meter.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/room-acoustics-audio-video-calibration/760012-greyscale-calibration-dummies.html

To keep it brief, the RGB cuts and gains are for adjusting the greyscale (AKA whitebalance) and not the colours, so they are the wrong controls to be using with a coloured filter. If your display has a colour management system (CMS) then perhaps these might be what you are trying to adjust, but without a meter I think you may just make the picture less accurate.

The coloured filters aren't terribly accurate, so I wouldn't sweat too much trying to achieve 'perfection' with them. From what you said regarding your initial settings I think that's maybe all you can reasonably expect to achieve without a meter, so just enjoy your projector and watch some films. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom