Projector Replacement Recommendation

KILLER NADS

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help/advice please on choosing a replacement projector as my current Epson LS1000 Laser 4K projector is not working anymore.

Im afraid i don't have much budget this time as looking for a house also for the longer term. Hence, i dont have anywhere near as much as the 6k+ i spent last time.

Really im looking to spend as little as i possible could but still be able to get an awesome PQ to match the rest of my home cinema which consists of 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos Surround Sound and DBOX Motion Seats. The room is still a converted Sitting Room, so ceiling and door is white, walls/curtains are brown, but the alcove in which the electric screen sits (comes down in front of the curtains) has white framing.

I use the projector a lot, i used the epson projector that i previously had for about 9k hours in 5 years time.

Mostly used for watching movies in 4k, tv shows 1080p, and a lot of gaming on PS5 and XBOX Series X. I have a 121" screen which is about 12-13 feet away from projector.

Main thing in a projector that i like is bright vivid images, thats why in all my previous projectors i have always used Full power mode, even though it has meant lower lamp/laser life. I just prefer the punchier brighter picture.

Projector should be:
HDR
Quite/Silent
Higher Lumens (bright)
Good black and white levels
Ideally 120hz on 4k, or if not then 1080p on 120hz,
As long lasting as possible

So as i said earlier really im looking for the best bang for my buck, i know the DLP projectors are much cheaper coming in at the £1.4k range such as these models:

Optoma UHD42 (£1k)
BenQ HT5550 (£???)
BenQ HT3550 (£1.1k)
BenQ TK850 (£1.4k)

Then theres the more expensive ones such as LCD one:
Epson TW9400 (£2.5k)

and the laser DLP one:
LG HU810P (£3k)

I like the look of the LG one the best but its 3K and also DLP instead of LCD, although it is a Laser one!!

The Epson TW9400 i guess would offer me the best PQ quality but on a short lived bulb in comparison to the LG.

However the cheaper DLP ones such as the TK850 which seems to be a hot favourite look really good aswell.

Im just really confused about which one to buy out of these or something else completely!!

If i do get something like the BenQ TK850 instead of the Epson TW9400 (hence DLP vs LCD) would i really notice that much of a difference? or would it be negligible and i should probably look to save money instead on it? I also noticed that the DLP ones usually have more lumens then the LCD ones so which would give me a more brighter image.

Im also really desperate for a projector right now so need one urgently and have to decide to order one hopefully by today.

KILLER NADS

No response from anyone?

Come on guys, what do you suggest to get from the Epson LS1000, Either Epson tw9400 or LG HU810P or is it okay to go for a cheaper DLP, something like BenQ TK850 and i wont notice much difference?

alebonau

I saw in your other thread it was only 100s to get the ls10000 up and going again ? why not pursue that avenue ?

KILLER NADS

I saw in your other thread it was only 100s to get the ls10000 up and going again ? why not pursue that avenue ?
Yes Epson quoted £288 to completely replace the optical engine and lens, practically making it brand new and resetting the hours back to 0! However, i would be happy to upgrade to something newer on the market now with more brighter picture and HDR and sell the current Epson LS1000 on.

Pulse1

The Epson EH-LS500 UST projector ticks most of your boxes apart from possibly black level and price? I have the Epson EH-LS300 UST and i'm super happy with it although it accepts a 4k signal it downscales to 1080p but has decent black levels. If you can accommodate an UST projector then maybe an option for you?

Brian

KILLER NADS

The Epson EH-LS500 UST projector ticks most of your boxes apart from possibly black level and price? I have the Epson EH-LS300 UST and i'm super happy with it although it accepts a 4k signal it downscales to 1080p but has decent black levels. If you can accommodate an UST projector then maybe an option for you?

Brian
unfortunately im not looking for a UST at this moment in time, especially because i would have to change my white electric screen. Its only 1080p output?

ive gone for ordering a TW9400, and will sell the LS10000 :D

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
unfortunately im not looking for a UST at this moment in time, especially because i would have to change my white electric screen. Its only 1080p output?

ive gone for ordering a TW9400, and will sell the LS10000 :D

please let me know if ur selling it mate.. interested even if just for a demo to play with it

KILLER NADS

please let me know if ur selling it mate.. interested even if just for a demo to play with it
hi, yes i will definetly be selling the LS10000. I paid epson £288, Epson are collecting it on Wednesday i think next week and then 10-15 days and they are replacing both the laser and the optical engine, so its going to be basically a new unit barring the casing which is in pretty good condition anyway.

They told me that as all the internals will be new, it will also reset the watching hours back to zero.

alebonau

hi, yes i will definetly be selling the LS10000. I paid epson £288, Epson are collecting it on Wednesday i think next week and then 10-15 days and they are replacing both the laser and the optical engine, so its going to be basically a new unit barring the casing which is in pretty good condition anyway.

They told me that as all the internals will be new, it will also reset the watching hours back to zero.
Yes Epson quoted £288 to completely replace the optical engine and lens, practically making it brand new and resetting the hours back to 0! However, i would be happy to upgrade to something newer on the market now with more brighter picture and HDR and sell the current Epson LS1000 on.

I don’t know what will get for the ls10000 refurbed ...I know feel 1500 lumens is not a lot ... but brand new Sony 270/290es projectors only come with that ... a jvc n5 is but a tad more ... a properly calibrated Epson 9400(not one doing whacky colours in high lamp !) Is not much more either ...

I’d keep it for 1080p at very least ... should have no issue with output there unless running some silly sized screen !

If nothing else I hope this helps your resale as these were good projectors ... it’s only 4K HDR with lack of bandwidth on the hdmi and capability for HDR that left them behind ... Epson should reboot these am really glad to hear they are rebooting yours ...

Whatever do get for it 2nd hand I can’t imagine a new projector that would match it in pure PQ terms ...

KILLER NADS

Ok guys I recieved the tw9400! My god what a projector, I was stunned, it completely blew my LS10000 projector away, the picture detail and brightness is just too stunning! I’m so happy with it 😃 I can’t believe I didn’t hear or know about this sooner!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom