1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Repair

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sounddog, Jan 13, 2003.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Hi

Hope no-one minds me asking a question in a professional capactity ...

Does anyone know where I may be able to get an Infocus projector repaired. If belongs to a school and so far have been quoted £105 just to get it looked at.

Is this likely to be the going rate??

Thanks
    Victoria

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've tried infucus UK agents? That seems a lot just to get looked at, what are the symptons, chances are someone here might offer some pointers.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I was quoted £1300 over the phone to fix mine, so count yourself lucky!

Turned out to be a £375 formatter board and not the DMD (I wasn't convinced it was the DMD as the fault was orientation dependant), but it turned out it was still under warranty anyway, so it didn't cost me anything.

Like MAW said - tell us the problem here, and someone may be able to help..

Gary.

4. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Victoria,

I work for a reseller of InFocus projectors and have a couple of suggestions for you.

One, is the projector older than two years? If under 2 years then it is still covered by InFocus's warranty.

Two, our parent company has a service department that is an authorised repair centre for InFocus. I beleive they charge £80 to have a look at the problem and will then fax you a diagnosis of the problem.

Three, what is the problem? Could the bulb just need replacing? What is happening/not happening with the projector - flashing warning lights, no image etc?

Matthew

Mods - really hope this does not break the posting rules, I am genuinely trying to help a member!

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    The projector has power (fans start, etc) but the bulb doesn't strike.

I guess it's something to do with the balast (these things have HMI or similar don't they?) or control circuitary.

The price quoted was £80 to look at it plus £25 for return postage (company recomended by Infocus UK).

Victoria

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    How old is the projector, and how many hours on the bulb?

The bulbs in projectors are far more expensive than normal lamps found in other household applications (£300+ ), and their life expectancy is often rated as 1000, 1500, 2000 hours etc.

It could be the lamp has reached its' normal life expectancy and has failed, in which case it might be just a simple job of replacing it.

MRW: if the repair company looked at the pj for the £80 'lookat' fee, would that cost be absorbed by the repair cost if the repair was then done by them, or would it be additional?

Gary.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In fact most pj's refuse to light up when bulb hours are exceeded, check the manual. You can reset the bulb counter after overriding this, and 'safely' use it for a few more hours whilst the new bulb comes, if that is the trouble.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Sorry ... should have said my first instinct was that either the bulb had "blown" or had exceeded life expectancy so the proj had shut it down.

The unit is an InFocus LightPro 425z ... does anyone know if there is a manual reset for restetting the bulb life? There's nothing that I've seen on it ... but maybe a combination of button presses - obviously I can't see the menus cause the bulb won't come on.

Sorry if my questions make me sound like an idiot ... I'm not I assure you ... just projectors are outside my normal sphere of influence :))

Thanks
    Victoria

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Victoria,

No manual then? Looking on infocus's site, there is a .pdf manual, it makes no mention of a reset procedure, or for that matter a timeout on the bulb, it just says it gets dimmer, and to replace it when it's like a candle in a brown bottle... Don't think you are stupid, the manual also suggests removing the lens cap if you get no picture!!! It's here for your delectation, not really very helpful. However, it does say to check the bulb is seated, use a clean cloth or paper towel, don't touch it with your fingers. Check the filament whilst you are in there, it's probably blown. I expect it has a rough life compared to us types who bolt them to the ceiling.

10. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gary: I have just checked with the repair centre, the 'lookat' fee is additional.

MRW