• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Projector Recommendation

nabberuk

Standard Member
First and foremost, apologies for the awful drawing below.

Right, i'm after some projector recommendations, i'll have a pull down screen (just in front of the bay window) and i'm aiming for a 2m width image. i would like the projector to sit on a large cabinet at the rear of the room (about 30cm depth) and so the throw distance will be around 4m. I'm hoping for the following but could be swayed should there be any other recommendations.

- I'll be using it for gaming, so a low input lag would be ideal
- i would prefer 4k with HDR
- my max budget is around £1300

I do plan to have a Atmos setup, but that will be for another post.

Layout.png

moujik

I'd say consider using the whole width, otherwise you'll just have a 92" image..

nabberuk

Standard Member
Yeah thats a great idea, does anyone have any recommendations on projectors now there is more play in the throw distance?

moujik

Yeah thats a great idea, does anyone have any recommendations on projectors now there is more play in the throw distance?
I can't recommend benq w1210/HT2150st highly enough. I'd consider it as a reserve since it's just full hd..
Pluses:
RGBRGB for 96% accurate rec. 709 colour
17ms lag for gaming
NOise. not noticable at all unlike many other models
price. under £1000

3m wide from 2.07 - 2.49cm and that's 135" diagonal. I have it on a coffee table in front of the sofa. I can put my laptop next to it with a very short cable. I also run a flat cable under the carpet to the media center.

Minuses:
no lens shift. The pj level is always the bottom of the image. You can angle it slightly but the image is not perfect square then, unless you use keystone (which isn't recommended).

So if you want to put a pj on the shelf above your head, you'd need quite a bit of lens shift, which I haven't seen at your budget.
You can somehow put it upside down with pj level being the top of the image.

Overall, you see mostly pjs geared towards either gaming with non RGBRGB or films with higher lag, but not a combination.

nabberuk

Standard Member
I have been looking at this some more, i am after a sub £1000 projector with 4k hdr and reasonable response time for gaming.

I will be purchasing a Celexon 16:9 240cm by 135cm manual pull down screen and the throw distance is 403cm. Unfortunately i had been looking at the Optoma range and with a throw distance of 403cm, i would be looking at a projected image of 242.8cm by 136.6cm - which is too big.

Does anyone have any recomemndations?

nabberuk

Standard Member
I should add that i was planning on placing the projector on a shelf, but just had the thought i could purchase a project arm - this could ensure a smaller throw distance.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom