Projector Recomendations

Pickles86

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for recommendations for a projector. I currently have a 3m (wide) motorised euroscreen which has a 1.0 gain Matt white screen.

View distance is 4.9m which I believe gives me a throw distance of about 1.65.

This isn’t a dedicated cinema room (white ceiling) so I’m not expecting cinema quality but I would like to have a decent picture for watching movies.

Could anyone offer recommendations for a projector please as I am completely new to projectors.

I am also building a custom motorised projector lift into the ceiling is there a specific way of calculating the correct height of the projector?

Thanks for your advice
Chris

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Please can you tell what projector you are upgrading from since you already own a 3m wide projector screen? This will then help everyone help you moving to your next projector.

What electronics will the projector be connected to and do you already have a HDMI cable in place for the projector?

Pickles86

Novice Member
Hi Shane,

I’ve not had a projector before, the screen was given to me so I’m hoping that there is something suitable that will work with that screen size and the room size. The screen is 130” diagonal.

At the projector location I have multiple cat6 cables that run to a central point and I plan to send the HDMI over the cat6 from the sky box. I also have a trigger cable in place between the screen and projector and then my speaker cables also go back to the central location.

I have been reading a lot of posts across the forum and the Epson TW-7100 so far looks like it may fit my requirements.

Thanks
Chris

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you can run HDMI cables, it just means you are taking another chain out of the system as HDMI can be and is usually a pain over 5m and when you have two short HDMI cables plus baluns can create more headaches that are wanted. If its up to 10m, view the thread to see what others are using to make the system less complicated. It will be worth it in the end

As for the Epson, this will give you a throw between 3.89m and 8.17m based on your screen. Do note that this is based from the lens to screen and doesn't include the depth of the projector or the required space to plug the cables into it (so just be aware)

Pickles86

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. The runs are about 15 metres Back to my central location where everything is housed and I don’t have the ability to get a dedicated HDMI there. However there is room where the projector is to put a sky mini box so if it does cause problems I could just bring the box to that location and connect directly with the HDMI to cut out the baluns.

So based on the Epson’s throw range am I right in thinking that it would suitably fill the screen at that distance?

Thanks
Chris

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you place the sky mini box with the projector, you'll need to place the avr near to and run the speakers cable to it. This way would help regarding the HDMI issues, but it'll create a few short term headaches. The long term gains will certainly be worth it though :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom