1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector recomendations

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lmccauley, May 2, 2001.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Your budget and requirements sound very similar to mine.
    I arranged for an audition of a CRT (which didn't meet my ambient light requirements, but I wanted to see what I was missing), the Sim2 HT200, the Sony VW10HT and the Sanyo PLV30 at StereoStereo on Feb 10th and posted my findings on this forum (in case you want to check them out).

My summary was:
    Sim2 - very nice, but no good for me, I'm sensitive to the rainbow effect;
    Sony - contrast range not good enough for me;
    Sanyo - very nice and excellent value for money, but I'd really, really like to use a 16:9 screen.

Cheers,
    Liam

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blowed if I can find your "shootout" Mr McCauley! What date did you post it?

I'm seriously tempted by the Sanyo, though had never heard of, or thought of buying one until I visited this site (breath of fresh air and usefull information that it is!!)

Sony CS2, and the Tosh MT1 are on my list, and fit my budget - but comments seem to lean towards the Sanyo.

Problem is, living in Gloucester - there ain't no b**ger about (that I know of) that can show me the difference between the 3..
    Anyone know of anywhere I could call to arrange?

Final point - I know the Sanyo doesn't have true 16:9, but what's the problem with buying a 16:9 screen for it? Most posting seem to say you need a 4:3 screen. Surely a 16:9 or 2.35:1 film, shown on the Sanyo, will show in that ratio?????

P.S - purpose built room, built as part of an extension, now has RC controlled lighting, deep burgundy carpet / walls etc. ready to go, 36" Panny for back of room, with DSPa2 amp, and good B&W's all round. Looking forward to finishing it all orf, n' posting some pics.

Nick. weeks away from that ole' projector purchase......

3. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get an Ellie ... they're great for £4k.

Only wish I had one

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon, if I had £4k I would certainly take a look! Esp. as I'm happy to permanently ceiling mount etc.

However, after forking out £38k for the extn (bigger bedroom + ensuite to keep wife happy), £2-£2.5k is my absolute tops for the mo. C'n ya help a poor man oot?

P.S - Thanks to Jason T for recommending ://www.direkt2u.co.uk/upto200.htm , for screens. Walter Stewart who runs it is an absolutely top bloke, and knows his stuff

5. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    no problem nick glad i could help..

got to admit i just purchased a screen from him myself about an hour ago.

cant wait to receive it !!!unfortunately i wont be able to play with it because i'm off on holiday in the morning!!(big bummer)

what did you buy size/gain/format etc

jason ;)

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    This a very emotive topic, and everyone has their own favourites - all for very valid reasons. Some people get hung up about black levels - I don't. Others get hung up about aspect ratios and making best use of display areas - I do. And others get hung up about the inherent flaws with CRTs - constant adjustments and/or bad convergence, poor brightness, flicker, etc. I do.

The best advice I can give is to see as many as you can, and try to "project" yourself forward a few months until the novelty of a huge image has worn off, and you begin to see the flaws in what you've bought. Study your borrowed or auditioned kit closely, coldly, and with your long-term satisfaction in mind.

I said this is an emotive subject. For me, the choice, about a year ago, was the Sony VW10HT. Without question, it still would be. And you can buy these for nearer £4k nowadays; anyone asking for more is looking at an old price list.

7. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you ever watch a 4:3 film (e.g. older films like Wizard of Oz) the picture will overflow the top and bottom of the screen.

BTW, I demoed the Toshiba and Sanyo head to head and found the Sanyo gave a more pleasing picture (better blacks) - but that's just my opinion. It is ESSENTIAL that you see the projectors before you buy.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K - thanks to Stephen R. (sorry - i've got 2 accounts on this forum - setup the other one with my work email address by mistake!!) for the info. If my only worry about 4:3 is what you say, it's not a worry - thanks for clarifying!!

Jason T - Sorry to hear you're on holiday :cool: - the screens take 3 weeks to arrive (from the U.S) anyway.
    I ordered a Da-Lite model B. It's the 80 incher (width) with Controlled Screen Return, on a Matte White screen. It's being trimmed to 70 inches wide (giving 39.5" high / 81" diag). Will be hung from the ceiling 30" from the wall, in front of the Panny 36" (portable!!) telly. Luckily - just before I bought, I realised that I didn't need the screen to fit between the speakers in the room, which is 8ft 2 ins wide - I realised that the speakers only stand 33", and that if I added a few more inches to let the tweeter "breathe" above - I could buy a screen that went out over the top of the speakers - not touching them from the ceiling!!
    So I ordered a 70" wide as opposed to 60"!!
    Could have had the full 80" - but a) just a little too large :eek: and not enough length in the room to project that wide.
    Maybe a daft idea, as i've not yet got a projector. Will be borrowing an old Proxima 640x480 from work that's never used, until I get a chance to sample / see / review something more "permanent".

Wot about you (or are you on the way to the airport????)

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Nick, here's the direct link: http://www.wvip.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000200

If there will be ambient light, then the Ellie may not be bright enough.

LV426 makes some excellent points - none of the technologies/solutions are perfect and you will be able to live with some deficiencies that others would not. You need to see a few projectors and see what you like and what you don't.

Good luck,
    Liam

10. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm now considering a projector and I'm compiling a short list of projectors to demo, I need something reasonably bright due to some ambient light, and really less than 5K (unless I can see a massive difference then I may be tempted to save a bit more). Image would be between 6 an 7 foot.

I really don't know very much about projectors, but my local Audio T have offered me the option of borrowing 1 or 2 and a tripod screen for a weekend.

My list at the moment is :-
    Mitsubishi LVP-X70U
    Davis Cinema One (already seen this not bad but V.noisy fan)
    Toshiba TLPMT1
    and a Sony VW10HT to see if spending over 5K is going to be worth it.

Cheers

Slingshot

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam - thanks very much (you hadn't started the thread - I was looking for your name. Ahhh!)

There will be a black-out blind in front of the window, and a black curtain in front of that. 3 sets of 4 halogens are dimmable and totally directional - so ambient light is not an issue.

I (wisely) copied and pasted the thread from the URL you gave out. I say wisely, as I read it offline - it took me about an hour to read!!!! Excellent stuff - very educational and informative. Maybe if I cannot find a suitable supplier that can show me a couple of units down here in the South West - I might end up making excuses to pay Gordon a visit in Glasgow..

Thanks for pointing me (and surely others) in the right direction. ;)

12. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for all ther excellent info, excellent review Liam, I've actually added the Sanyo to my list, I originally ignored it because of some ambient light.

Hopping to book a demo in the next couple of weeks so I'll see what projectors they can offer.

Cheers everyone

Slingshot

13. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Nick - sorry, I thought you were slingshot when I replied to your post, which is why I made the comment about the Ellie and ambient light.

Glad you guys have found the original thread that Nic Rhodes and I wrote reviews for useful. I would definitely recommend a visit to Glasgow to see a range of projectors. Best to contact Gordon and see what he'll have in. If you want to make a weekend of it, then the Malmaison is only a couple of hundred yards from StereoStereo.

Cheers,
    Liam

14. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nick I'm trying to arrange my demo with Audio T in Swindon (bit closer than Glasgow for you). I've Emailed one of the guy's there with my short list to see what they can sort out.

I'll let you know what they come back with.

Slingshot

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam - no worries - I did sort of steal Slingshot's thread. Thanks for your help.

Slingshot - 40 miles, as opposed to 500! Sounds like a bargain.

What was on your shortlist. Was it all those you mentioned at the start of this thread, or has the list changed? When do you plan to try and arrange it for? Be very interested to join in...

Cheers.

[ 03-05-2001: Message edited by: Nick D ]

16. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Nick,

At the moment Andy at Audio T has a Davis CinemaOne MkII and the Sanyo for me to take a look at, hopefully he's getting a couple of the others sorted today (including the Sony).

Was there anything you particularly wanted to see, let me know and I'll ask him.

It's fine if you want to join in (I'll probably take some time off work for the Dem) or I can get Andy to give you a ring.

Anyway save using this thread I'll EMail you with a list of projectors etc. if that's OK. Feel free to Email me.

Cheers

Slingshot

17. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    My tuppence worth:-

I only had a brief demo of the Sanyo at stereo-stereo.
    The Sanyo Plv30 is fantastic for the price.
    The blacks are better than the Tosh MT1 and the Sony 10ht (though not by much). Therefore contrast is improved. Colours seem fine and the fan although audible is not to bad. I would have liked to have seen this one on a grey screen!.
    It uses a 4.3 800x600 panel and can be used on a 16.9 screen but as with the Tosh it will show a slight overscan top and bottom of the screen ie a dark glow of the unused pixels.
    I didn't notice any "screen door" panel structure in the picture, but the demo film was not that dark etc.(Fifth Element) Good projector at the right price!.

Toshiba MT1z "owned" for six months used for two/three weeks!.

The Tosh is very similar to the Sanyo ie panel size/price etc.
    It has fantastic colours and this helps make the image look superb. The black level is not as good as the Sanyo and in some dark scenes detail can be lost, but using a grey screen makes a world of a difference. Colours get even better and the black level comes back. There is a trade of with whites but it is worth it. The contrast and brightness have to be slightly adjusted of course but the end result is great.
    I did notice some slight vertical lines on some murky scenes ie "smoke" or "clouds". I think this was more of a "dot clock" problem, as it was every eighth pixel row that was slightly darker etc. On my HTPC these lines vertualy disappeared!. Because it was only slight i learned to ignore/live with it. Gordon (stereo-stereo) thinks maybe be using a painted wall was'nt helping, who knows?.

Finally! The Sony 10ht - Bought last week:-

You can now get this machine for less than £4000 inc VAT!.
    It uses a true 16.9 panel (1366x768).
    Therefore the resolution when showing a 16.9 film is stunning.
    The black level is'nt very good on a white screen but on a grey screen it's great. I think i can go a shade darker with this machine because it is very bright even in cinema mode. Therefore the blacks will be even better!.
    The detail in dark scenes is unbelievable (for LCD). There is just so many things that i had'nt noticed before. The picture quality is stunning, ie no panel stucture at all. The the pictures look very transparent. I am only feeding it Svideo at the moment but hope to get a progressive DVD player soon and use the Component connection. In fact the Sony looks better(more detail) with the Svideo feed than the Tosh did with the HTPC feed!. There are some down sides to the 16.9 panel ie games from the HTPC are not as big, as they fit in the middle (4.3ish) of the wide-screen. The same with 4.3 "tv" transmissions
    The Sony is very-very quiet!. In cinema mode it is vertualy silent.
    I paid £1600 more for the Sony after taking the Tosh back (for a fault), and although i was very happy with the Tosh i am glad i swopped!.

Watch out for the new Sanyo/Sonys which are coming out soon. I have also heard about a Tosh MT7 widescreen model. I have read that they should be fantastic. Also consider the new Sim HT200"HD" they reckon they have sorted out the "rainbow" problem using a new six segment colour wheel. Mind you they will expensive at first like all new gadgets.

If you have the time do try to see the Ellie as you may find it bright enough for your needs, and the blacks and contrast will be better than any of the current LCD/DLP offerings!. Mind you that may soon change in the near future!.
    ;)

Paul.............

18. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the info Fulabeer, how come people who write reviews on these threads always seem to do a better job than the mags ?

Now I've seen the Sony dropped in price I'm definatley more tempted by it, especially since almost everything I watch will be Widescreen anyway (including most games !) then 4:3 is not an issue.

Unfortunatley since the screen has to be ceiling mounted it will need a 7 foot drop, but I assume it's possible to get widescreen pull down's with the to foot or so blacked out.

Cheers

Slingshot

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - cheers Paul - excellent info.

Having bitten the bullet, and bought a screen (16:9) before a projector (as I have free access to a working and fine, all be it not great projector until ready to buy) I was very interested in your comments about the sanyo / tosh. I will have a 36" panny TV, that will be sat under the screen. I reckon playing a constant 4:3 image onto this screen, it's possible the projector will always be shining onto at least the top of the telly (the top of which will be just under the bottom of the screen).

Can't afford more than £2k at the mo, but I would have the benefit of being able to wait / save for a while (difficult I know) in anticipation of other widescreen units coming out!

Slingshot - i've sent you an email. Also - WRT screen drops - the place where I bought mine (http://www.direkt2u.co.uk) can add extra "black drop" for £30 per foot - sounds like what you need! The guy (Walter) talks for England (as do I) but it's all very interesting stuff - he knows what he's on about, and the screens are well priced (Da-lite screens. Apparently a larger company than Stewart!)