projector-receiver connection

PeterPiatek

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I just started my journey in home theatre world so sorry if question is trivial.
Could somebody please advice me:

I'm going to buy: marantz 6009 receiver, optoma hd25e projector and 5.1.
Content source will be computer or other device switched to the receiver. I'd like to avoid connection computer or other device directly to the projector (to many cables - read - wife disapproval :)).

question:
1) How can I connect those devices? I want to have picture only from projector. HDMI would be the best but can I send picture only?
2) Anybody tried to connect PC to receiver via chromecast? Or Pc to projector. But how can I send sound to receiver then?
Sorry If there is no logic in this :)

Many thanks for resp.

The HDMI connection from a source to an AV receiver will convey both audio and video, but the connection from the receiver to the display or a PJ is cnfigured to only convey the video signal.

You do not need a direct connection from a source to the PJ so your second question is irrelevant. Use HDMI from your source directly to the AV receiver or use other types of audio and or video connections to the receiver. The receiver will output all video signals to the PJ via its HDMI connection without having to make a direct connection to the PJ from the sources.

You can plug a Chromecast dongle directly into one of the HDMI inputs of any AV receiver. The Dongle is treated like any other HDMI source would be treated.

Last edited:
Thanks! Will use this advice :)
other questions:
1) Is it possible to make a wireless connection instead of using hdmi without losing video quality?
Also I see people are complaining on chromecast for not sending 5.1 surround sound if connected directly to the receiver (DD+ or stereo instead). I know it is cheap and we can't have everything in this price but maybe there is another solution to send signal wirelessly 100% same as original?

Many thanks

What is it you want to stream wirelessly? Most AV receivers lack wifi and only have a wired network option. Those that do have networking only allow for audio streaming and lack any ability to access video content over a network. An AV receiver is not a media player, although some will render audio files even though this is not their primary function. If you've movie files that you want to access over a network then you'd need a media player with which to render and play them. If you want to output HD media that has already been rendered by a player then a wired HDMI connection is required from that player to an AV receiver or a display. Sending HDMI signals or conyent that is already rendered wirelessly is not a realistic option.

Do not expect the player to send the rendered content wirelessly, stream the files stored elsewhere over your home network to a media player that is connected to your AV receiver via HDMI.

Use a media player rather than Chromecast if you intend to stream media files. Connect the media player to the AV receiver via HDMI and access the files over your home network via the media player's networking capabilities. Many Blu-ray players now incllude both an inbuilt media player and networking.

Ok.. thanks for that. I watched too many sci-fi movies I think :) but would be nice to have no cables at home just a one big wifi 'cloud'. Anyway the reason that is impossible now is because typical router (wifi b) has transfer speed around 11Mbps. HDMI 2.0 has up to 18Gbps! So I'll put 25 foot hdmi cable (receiver - projector) and will see how does it work. Thanks again.

I think you need to investigate the differences between all the cables you keep mentioning? HDMI is basically used to convey rendered video, not compressed video files. USB is more commonly used to convey data files as opposed to rendered video or audio and ethernet is the cabling associated with networking which again does not convey rendered content. You appear to be catagorising all as being different versions of the same thing? THe means of conveyance you've mentioned are all intended for different purposes and governed by their own protocols that do not necessarily make them suitable for uses other than what they were originally developed for. For a start, your PJ has no network port or wifi capabilities.

A suitable router can convey data at rates in the region of one gigabit per second over a wired connection. The Data rate associated with HDMI is not comparable to this because they are both used for very different purposes. I can quite happily convey HD video files via ethernet or wifi that result in the identical video quality I'd get via HDMI. The difference being that files shared other a network are not decoded and are not as yet rendered and still compressed. The same is true of any data you access or share via a network.You use a router for networking and an HDMI connection to connect a source directly to a display, PJ or AV receiver. The rate associated with an HDMI cable is only relevant to the video data and how it was encoded. The rate associated with networks relates to all data conveyed via that network. You cannot use HDMI cabling for network purposes and you cannot use a network connection to convey rendered video to a PJ.

The data rate differences between USB, HDMI and a network are irrelevant and you have no option other than to use HDMI if wishing to convey HD video to your PJ. HDMI is the only input on your PJ that can accept HD video, especially if derived from a Blu-ray player because this would require HDCP compliance.

I should also add that you proposed HDMI cable length is longer than what is generally recommended for HDMI. You may experience issues with HDMI cabling longer than 8m in length and it is suggested you use HDMI over cat5/6 for longer HDMI runs. This is fascilitated via an HDMI extender of which this is one example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Exten...1410773047&sr=8-1&keywords=neet+HDMI+extender

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
wow.. many many thanks for such a detailed information:)
after those couple of days I read my first post and I want to laugh from myself :)
Thanks for patience.

Now I know everything what to buy. Just still thinking about that media player. If you say it is better to use media player with network (hope with original streamed 5.1 sound not like with chromecast) ..
Do You think it is a good idea to buy a console (ex. playstation 4) as a media player? (so I'll get 2 in 1 gaming station and bluray)?

Thanks.

Many Blu-ray players include inbuilt media player and network capabilities. These tend to support more formats than games consoles.

If your PC is connected to the AVR via HDMI and the AVR to the Projector via HDMI you already have a fully functioning Media Player!

HDMI is all about content copy protection (HDCP) and is not well suited to a wireless environment.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom