1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rich1231, Sep 15, 2004.

1. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dumb question but how many of you guys use a projector to watch normal TV? Are the bulb lifes too short to make this worthwhile?

Rich

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I don't think many people use them to watch normal TV, as there is to many compromises for day time use. The only TV I watch on mine is big football games or other big sports events, it's usually kept for watching movies at the weekend.

3. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TV in the same room as the projector screen.
    I project TV programs normally only for sports.
    It is not because of economical considerations.
    It is mainly because I prefer to watch the news and othe programs in full light so I can do other things at the same time.
    Using the projector and turning off the light puts me in "concentration mode", which is good for cinema, but normally not for TV.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I'd agree that the best thing is to have a fairly small TV for watching the news and soaps and quizzes and for the kids to watch CBeebies etc etc - and a projector for movies and significant sports events.

The high-powered lamps used in projectors tend to have fairly short lifespans (in the context of extended CBeebies watching, say) and also don't tend to take kindly to repated short periods of use (such as a quick look at text to find out the lottery numbers). The act of turning a lamp like this ON reduces its life, so you need to limit the number of times this occurs.

5. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on what you class as normal TV. I use the Projector to play back from TiVo the shows I have recorded. The only real downside is that the larger screen makes the pixellation on lower quality settings more obvious.

If you work out the number of hours a bulb can give you, unless you spend all day every day watching TV you are unlikely to trash the bulb before you want to upgrade anyway.....