Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Projector quality from Freeview - Gobsmacked!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fraggle, Jul 31, 2005.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all,

I've had my old Sony VPL 10HT for years now and have never bothered plugging it into "normal" TV, as I didn't ever expect the output to look watchable.

Well, Aliens was on Ch4 tonight, and as I was bored with nothing else to do I rummaged around, dug out a spare Keene RGB -> S Video converter, wired it between my Quintro and the projector, fired everything up and sat back.

Watching the film from my Nokia 221T Freeview box through the Tivo, MPEG compression artefacts abounded, not a very good picture, about what I expected.

Then I switched to the other freeview receiver I have, a Netgem box.

Wow!

Zero MPEG artefacts. No noticable noise. Virtually no solarization, plenty enough resolution. The Sonys line doubling did a fine job.

The picture was equivalent to a mid quality DVD, eminently watchable.

The best thing is the solarization that annoys me on my Panny 42" plasma was 95% gone.

I definitely think I'll be doing this a lot more, what with Ch5 showing loads of films, and ITV, Ch4 and the Beeb putting a few good uns on and all.

I is one very, very, very happy and suprised camper! :D :D :D :D

All I really need now is to upgrade to a VPL 12HT - haven't seen anything else yet that compares to the 10HTs picture quality, I just need the same quality with a lot better blacks.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    No don't! I had a VW11 too and have since gone through an HS20 and now have an HS50.

I agree the VW11/12 were built to a high standard and have nice on board scalers that produce a very clean image, but both models suffer from excessive fan noise and poor contrast.
    The VW12 is only slight step up in quality and possibly doesn't perform as well as the HS20 with its iris.

The HS50 is a different beast, very quiet and signifcantly improved black level and contrast, though admitedly the panel resolution is down a bit.

I considered a VW12 at one point, but I'm glad I didn't now. Things have moved on.

Oh, I watch my Pioneer Freeview box through my HS50 via S-Video and the quality is fine. Not DVD quality, but certainly ok on the better channels.

3. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it all depends on the channel. Sky news, sky travel and the music channels are shockingly bad! But the normal channels (1-5) are all fairly good quality. Easily watchable.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Personally, I think Channel 5 has the best PQ out there.

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well I should be getting a H78 DC3 projector to test this weekend, so it'll be filmfest for a couple of days :)

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    agreed when i got my freeview box i tested it out the projector. just so happens at that time CSI was on C5 and it was more than acceptable. i was actually quite amazed. helps when CSI is filmed in HD so it gives a nice SD image.

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Yep, can be very watchable. I watched the whole of 24 and plently of other tv programs on my projector, my Tele couldn't compete on scale or atmosphere.

One thing worth noting, is that when i swapped by s-video link for a RGBscart to Component convertor (from Maplin) the difference in picture was stunning. May be worth spending a few pounds.