• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Projector Power supply mounting question

MysteryM

Established Member
Next week the electicians are coming in to put up my projector for me, its a Sony HW40ES along with Peerless UNV mount.

Initially I've been thinking about them installing a standard 1 way gang socket in the ceiling, my thoughts were that I wanted to future proof as much as possible and therefore having a plug socket would mean that the next projector could quite happy be put up on the mount and plugged in directly without any more work being done.

Lately however I've been thinking about if I need a socket in the ceiling at all, instead could the HDMI and power cable come through the peerless mount directly and plug straight into the projector? If I asked them to leave enough slack I could then not worry about the dimensions of the next projector.

I would then instead have them fit an isolator on the wall somewhere that could turn the projector on and off? I'm not sure if this even allowed or not, and how they would convert a power lead into a cable they could then route across.

I'm pretty certain I want the HDMI cable routed through the mount as otherwise how would they get it to the projector.

J.M.S

Standard Member
There's no reason why your electrician can't run a flex from the projector with a rewireable IEC plug on the end, as long as ithe flex is of a suitable diameter. They could run it through a switched fused spur to allow you to turn the power on or off. If you are running a long HDMI cable consider running a second for redundancy in case the worst happens. Or run a pair of Cat 5/6 cables to the projector, if you get a problem you could use a pair of HDMI over cat 5 baluns, these have a range of around 30 meters.

plum23

Established Member
One other consideration - perhaps it would be worth thinking about a UPS for the projector before the wiring is finalised?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom