1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector positioning woes

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zombie_donkey, Nov 22, 2004.

1. zombie_donkey

zombie_donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi everyone

I have an Optoma EZPro 737 and I want to project on to a screen that will be on the opposite wall above my 32" widescreen CRT TV.

I just spent an hour fitting a floating shelf to the wall but when I have put the pro on the shelf, I have found it points upwards and shines at the top of the wall and the ceiling. :eek:

Would a ceiling mount with a 30 degree angle allow the screen to be where I want it?

I really want the projector out the way so it does not get damaged by feet/beer.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    If you angle the projector you will need to use keystone correction to make the image 'square' (rectangular) - this will affect the image quality.
    Most projectors project 'up' so the lens is at the bottom or slightly below the projected image. The way to get over this when wall mounting is to turn the PJ over so it's upside down and use menu settings on the PJ to invert the image. Check your PJ to find 'mirror' settings or whatever they've called them.

Using your shelf work out how much higher the image is than the lens. When you turn the PJ over this is how much lower it will be than the lens then refit the shelf further up the wall leaving some clearance so the PJ can breathe - it will get very hot when in use. Also work out the height of the image by turning the PJ over on the shelf where it is now to make sure that once you mount it you will be able to see the whole image over the top of your TV!

Positioning, throw etc. are a beggar to work out. My room constraints left me with a choice of 2 PJs one which was 50% over budget! My PJ is about 6 inches too low on the wall so I have had to tilt it. When I get an hour alone in the house I'll be moving the mount up the wall.

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your projector feature vertical lens shift? If so you could adjust that without having necessarily to resort to keystone adjustment (to be avoided if poss as prev mentioned).

4. zombie_donkey

zombie_donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My projector only has verticle shift in computer mode. The amount it is out of line with wher eI want it I doubt it would help anyway.

It does havea ceiling mode for when it is hung upside down.

So I need to get one of them brackets I guess.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Vertical positioning in VGA mode just moves the image around within the confines of the LCD panel - no use to you in the circumstances you describe. Cieling mount is the thing to sort you out... have a look in the FAQ for ideas on making a mount yourself, a search on this forum will also unearth lots of info.

Sean G.

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    Your mount needn't cost the earth - I'm using an Argos heavy duty speaker bracket. Sturdy enough and visually not that ugly. It also has the advantage that there is plenty of air flow around it. A dedicated ceiling mount would be prettier but would cost about 10x a much!