1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Plan - 9 feet distance, 80" screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RumbleBee, Jan 4, 2005.

1. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I've been viewing this forum for quite some time looking at the wonderful setups some of you guys have. After seing various screenshots of £1000 ish projectors in action and as I've got a new job I'm considering investing some of my redundancy money into a setup of my own.

Firstly the projector I'm looking into is the Sanyo Z3
    I've just done some measurments which give or take a few inches should be pretty accurate

From the projector (cieling mounted) to where the screen would be is 9 feet, or 10 feet if I place it behind my plasma. Not sure about this as it might drop lower than the plasma, so we'll assume 9 feet.

My viewing distance from the sofa to the screen would also be 9 1/2 feet.

After visiting this page http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm
    Am I right in thinking a diagnal screen size of 80" would be okay, this is taking into account a zoom of 1.18x (not even sure what this means)

At the viewing distance am I too close to the screen. Do I need to think small for a small room?
    I'm really a novice at these things, but after you guys at avforums helped me so much in the Plasma dept I can't thin kof anyone better to ask.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As a rule of thumb, I like to sit around about 2 x the screen width away.

Just right for me. Thus, my screen is about six foot from about 11 foot away. Can stretch to seven but prefer six feet screen approx.

Once thing I would suggest is that you shoot a projected image before deciding on your screen size. That way you can tinker and see what size you are happy with before you shell out on a screen.

When all said and done, seven foot is not that much bigger than six when you think that it is added to each side of the screen 3" screen + border ???

As for the Z3 sounds like a good idea. Shop around, get some opinions and ask more questions here. Finally with the lens shift, you may not even need to mount the Z3.

Hope this helps a little,

Cap :)

3. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for replying Cap. Just so I understand this are you sayingthat from 9 feet away I'd best be looking at a screen size of no more than say 5 feet. This seems a little small and not much bigger than my 42" plasma, unless I'm working it out incorrectly.
    I've just double checked the distance from the projector to the screen and the max would be 10 feet. Viewing distance still 9 feet

Sorry to sound dumb, but whats this lens shift you mention. I presumed mounting would best as I'd be sat directly under they projector (sofa agains the wall).

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well, this is why I suggested setting up an image before you buy a screen. That way you can really see what works. I reckon you could get away with 6 foot though but look for a PJ with decent resolution or smooth screen to negate possible screen door (refer to the FAQ at the top of the page)......

Lens shift
    is a feature that a lot of new companies are trying to include on their projectors. This makes placement of the unit far less taxing as you can simply place it higher or lower than a fixed lens and simply dial the image up or down, left or right, usually via a joystick or some sort of wheel on the unit.
    I think that the new Sony HS50 can be dialled approx. three screen sizes either way - up, down, left and right.......Urban T, can you confirm this?

Have a look at

www.nexnix.co.uk

and check out the Z3, the Panny 700 and the Sony HS50 for picture examples.

Hope this helps,

Cap :)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    My projector is only about 8 ft away and I can project a 6 ft + image on the TX100 but I think the zoom capability is higher than the Z3 (which is at the lower end of the scale if it's only 1.18x). I'd look at the Panny 700, the new Sony HS50, or the TX100 too before plumping for the Z3 (all have zoom well over 1.5x I think).
    I sit approx 10 ft from a 6 ft wide image and it's ideal for me, close enough to still get size impact, far enough for zero chicken wire.
    Good luck!...PJ

6. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been looking at the PJTX100.

Do you connect from your PC or DVD Player.
    If PC what cable is required. VGA or DVI

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I connect only my DVD player(s) but I'm sure others can comment on PC connectivity, it has all the expected PC connectivity capabilities....PJ

PS when I said 6ft+ image in previous post I meant width which is 80+ inches diag...

8. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rumblebee,

I got tx100, 6ft screen from about 10ft away and it perfect. Running DVD's from PC via DVI cable. I had alot of trouble with sparklies, a phenomena caused by poor cable quality. After wasting money on cheaper products I spent a ton on a 5m DVI. I strongly rec ommend that you never use a DVI cable longer than this. Write me if you want the manufacturer/seller of the cable.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hmm. DVI - I am concerned that the 12.5m length DVI cable I'd need would be a) costly b) possibly inferior to progressive component I'm using now. Lindy do 15m+ DVI cables which are supposed to be up to the job. But do you think I'd just be wasting money? (I'd need to buy a DVI equipped DVD player too!)...PJ

10. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi, we have a Sony HS50 about 10 feet from a 90'' diagonal (80''wide)screen and love it. We sit about 9 feet away. You can only see screendoor if you really look hard on the brightest scenes - it does not detract from the brilliant cinematic feel of a big screen. The throw distance is an important consideration for a big picture in a small room. Hope this helps.