Projector placement

marvinwright1

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a dedicated home cinema room, it will be approximately 5m x 3.5m.
Due to funds I'm planning to use all the kit that I had from an old build, my projector is an Infocus IN80 projector, the projector is great but its 1080p only though. It would be ceiling mounted but requires a long throw, pretty much on the back wall almost 5m from the screen to achieve a 92" diagonal screen.
Although this is perfectly fine for now I'm worried that when I eventually upgrade to a 4K projector that it might be too far away from the screen, I don't really want to be opening up the ceiling and moving it. I've had a look at a few 4K projectors and they seem to require a much less throw to achieve 92".
Are there 4K projectors available that would work at this kind of distance away from the screen?
Its a completely new room so there is nothing to stop me putting a small ceiling back box that I could access at a later date providing HDMI, power and trigger.

Could you offer any advice on this?

Many thanks,

Marvin.

inzaman

I will try this section of the forums for you.

markymiles

Distinguished Member

marvinwright1

Thanks markymiles, using that calculator if I later upgrade to 4k with a throw of 5m it limits my options and the cost is much higher. I guess I will have to provide some way in the ceiling to move the projector closer to the screen when I upgrade.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
When you move to 4K, pick a projector which has both lens shift and zoom capabilities. Most 4K units have a much better ratio than the older IN models (which were loosely based on Themescene models, if I remember rightly)

Even if you move towards something by Themescene/Optoma, some of these models have lens shift. If you move to Epson, you'll be surprised by how good these models have become and will certainly outperform your IN80 in almost every area as it was Infocus budget 1080p model in its day. Moving to one of these should give you all the flexibility you require for placement as it is one of the most versatile units on the market

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
An Epson 9400 is perfectly capable of doing what you ask on to a 92” screen but you also have the advantage of increasing your screen if you so desire. If you have a lot more cash to put into the pot then you could get a native 4K like a JVC N5 but new these are like hen’s teeth.

Stridsvognen

An Epson 9400 is perfectly capable of doing what you ask on to a 92” screen but you also have the advantage of increasing your screen if you so desire. If you have a lot more cash to put into the pot then you could get a native 4K like a JVC N5 but new these are like hen’s teeth.
The N5 lacks the lamp iris so wont likely be able to calibrate on such a small screen, for that you need the N7 or NX9, An X500 or later is perfect for that screen size., and when you enter the X5000 series you have the same problem, they are to bright for that small a screen, and need a 7 or 9 series instead.

Last edited:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
The N5 lacks the lamp iris so wont likely be able to calibrate on such a small screen, for that you need the N7 or NX9, An X500 or later is perfect for that screen size., and when you enter the X5000 series you have the same problem, they are to bright for that small a screen, and need a 7 or 9 series instead.
Even if the projector is placed 5m from the screen?

Stridsvognen

Even if the projector is placed 5m from the screen?
likely yes, my X5900 at max zoom low lamp full closed iris was 18fl on a neutral 110" screen. About the same as minimum light on the same screen with the SONY VPL VW270ES

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom