1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector placement options

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Crivens, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, so I'm almost ready to get a HS50. I've measured up and it works out to be 5 metres from projector to screen. Or slightly more depending on the size and exact location of projector (cables on back might cause it to be an inch or two away from wall).

Anyhow, I'm new to projectors, and have been using the online screen calculator at Projector central to work out the size of screen I will get. It reckons with a 5 metre throw I should get a 112" diagonal screen with 1x zoom. Ace. Although the screen I want, and conveniently pretty much the maximum size for the space, is a DRH slimline 16:9 at 231 cm wide. Which gives 104" according to the calculator. Which also calculates that for this screen you would need 4.66m throw with 1x zoom.

Now I notice that the calculator does not allow you to make the image smaller by having a zoom factor of less than 1x. Is this true (ie. the HS50 cannot physically go below 1x zoom) or is this just a a flaw in the calculator's programming? If it is true then this comes to my second question. I have heard that these days you can pretty much position your projector anywhere and with a bit of adjustment the image will appear perfectly correct. So can I position the projector on the side wall rather than the back wall? Because of the hassle with installations, my appaling DIY skills, and the fact I am moving house in less than a year, then I would rather avoid ceiling installations. A good shelf seems like a good idea to me. And if it needs to be nearer then this seems to be the easiest way.

Oh, and I can't really move the screen nearer as this will be installed using wall brackets (again to avoid ceiling worries) at the end of the room. And it's an annoying long but thin rooms, so sideways doesn't really work. Annoyingly.

Unless someone has some other seriously clever ideas (the under the coffee table idea sounds promising, except when friends visit with dogs).....

Cheers

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Right, so I'm almost ready to get a HS50. I've measured up and it works out to be 5 metres from projector to screen. Or slightly more depending on the size and exact location of projector (cables on back might cause it to be an inch or two away from wall).

Anyhow, I'm new to projectors, and have been using the online screen calculator at Projector central to work out the size of screen I will get. It reckons with a 5 metre throw I should get a 112" diagonal screen with 1x zoom. Ace. Although the screen I want, and conveniently pretty much the maximum size for the space, is a DRH slimline 16:9 at 231 cm wide. Which gives 104" according to the calculator. Which also calculates that for this screen you would need 4.66m throw with 1x zoom.

Now I notice that the calculator does not allow you to make the image smaller by having a zoom factor of less than 1x. Is this true (ie. the HS50 cannot physically go below 1x zoom) or is this just a a flaw in the calculator's programming?

It's true (may be worth checking that the calculator is correct though - can you download the Sony manual for this PJ)

If it is true then this comes to my second question. I have heard that these days you can pretty much position your projector anywhere and with a bit of adjustment the image will appear perfectly correct. So can I position the projector on the side wall rather than the back wall?

Unlikely - there's only so much lens shift can do!

Because of the hassle with installations, my appaling DIY skills, and the fact I am moving house in less than a year, then I would rather avoid ceiling installations. A good shelf seems like a good idea to me. And if it needs to be nearer then this seems to be the easiest way.

Oh, and I can't really move the screen nearer as this will be installed using wall brackets (again to avoid ceiling worries) at the end of the room. And it's an annoying long but thin rooms, so sideways doesn't really work. Annoyingly.

Unless someone has some other seriously clever ideas (the under the coffee table idea sounds promising, except when friends visit with dogs).....

Why not look for a PJ which can meet your throw ratio requirements? AE700 perhaps!!
    Have you demoed the Sony PJ - you may find it a bit too dim for a screen that size, unless you use one with a fair bit of gain

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. The way I see it (after looking at HS51 manual online) the projector should be parallel with the screen. But the horizontal shift can move the image (I think) half a screen to the left or right. So a side wall installation could work. My only problem is the best side wall is to the left, and the best place for the screen is to the right. So my next question will be is there a problem with having the projector turned slightly towards the screen. So if it is on the side wall, and turned slightly towards the screen, plus full horizontal lens shift to the right, then would that be alright? What happens to the image if it is turned slightly?

As to the AE700, I thought about that, but it would require zooming to get the required sized screen. Does this make the image any worse, such as when a digital camera image is resized? ie. the pixels become blocky. Also noticed the calculator has the AE700 with less than 1x zoom option. Is this just a mistake then with the HS51 (take it that it is the same as the HS50) calculator, or just that Panasonic are good enough to have this option?

Cheers