Projector overheats using DVD/BluRay but not gaming!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by deansplit, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. deansplit

deansplit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a BenQ1070+ hooked up to a Denon X2300 which has been performing perfectly for 3 months since installed. I've watched 5 seasons of series on BlueRay and the kids have gamed till their hearts are content on Xbox before Xmas, and now PS4 for hours at a time with no problems.

At Xmas, we sat to watch a DVD using the BluRay player and for the first time, it shut down with the power and temp red lights on. The trouble shooting says that's an overheating issue, fan not working.

I checked that all 3 fans were working, which they were, even took it apart and removed the minor amount of dust on the fins (thinking maybe slowing the rotation down) and the next day it worked fine, we finished watching the film no problem. Kids have played PS4 on it loads since with no problems. Last night I attempted to continue my series again (for first time since this issue has happened) and it stopped again after 15 min, then again after 10. I thought maybe this is an issue with the player being that gaming is fine, so played it via the PS4 – same thing happened after 15 mins or so.

I'm wondering if it 'is' and overheating issue and that gaming doesn't push it to the threshold of cut out point, but playing a DVD/BR disk does (or does now, maybe the threshold has lowered for some reason)? Either way, really annoying. Does anyone have any advice?

Much appreciated

Dean

2. rjg

rjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Room temperature warmer when everyone sitting down to watch films as a family?
    Is the projector on the ceiling or a table?

3. deansplit

deansplit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, no deffo not that - last night was late and room quite cold, I opted to just throw on a jumper. It's a high ceiling Victorian room too, about 4' above the wall bracket. It's been much warmer during the day when kids in there gaming.

Just spoke to my Uncle who has a cinema room – said he thinks could be the HDMI cable's or the amp. Maybe bypass the amp and check and swap cables about to see what results I get if any?

4. rjg

rjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I can't really see the cables or amp having anything to do with it if you got warning lights on. Worth checking in the manual as to exactly what they mean, the various combinations cover temperature and other stuff like a problem with the actual lamp. Might be worth reseating the lamp, they can overheat if the contact isn't perfect.

The BD playback might possibly involve more signal processing than games because of motion processing (and thus cause more heating of the internals) but that seems marginal. That model does seem to have plenty of hits regarding overheating, perhaps browsing those might reveal what outcomes other owners have got. I don't think there are any filters to clean.

Edited to add: just had another thought - 3D probably stresses it far more than 2D, so needs more fan power. Was it a 3D BluRay?

Fan info and indicators:

Power Temp Lamp
    Solid Red Solid Red - Fan 1
    Solid Red Flashing Red - Fan 2
    Solid Red Solid Green - Fan 3
    Solid Red Flashing Green - Fan 4

Fan 1 - Lamp Fan
    Fan 2 - Power Fan
    Fan 3 - Blower Fan
    Fan 4 - Inlet Fan

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. CableGuy

CableGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Do you have the projector in an enclosed space?

6. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    One difference between blu-ray and games is that blu-rays will be 24hz, whereas games are going to be 50/60hz. Perhaps the faster spinning colour-wheel required for gaming creates extra air-flow that is having a cooling effect? Have you tried changing the settings on the blu-ray player so that it uses 50/60hz output for movies?

7. deansplit

deansplit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for the reply - no it's happened on DVD and BluRay, both 2D, but after the initial few shut down, I opened it up, cleared dust, and it played the DVD fine. Nothing then been played apart from games which were fine until last night which was the BR and it failed again twice.

It's the 2 red lights on solid so that's lamp fan 1.

8. deansplit

deansplit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's 4' from the high ceiling we have, 18" out on a wall bracket, totally free space.

9. deansplit

deansplit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I haven't, as didn't know this. But why have I been able to watch 5 seasons of the Walking Dead with no problem, something's changed... and it's not me into a zombie :)

10. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    It definitely sounds like your PJ has developed a fault - I'm just suggesting a possible work-around until you can get it repaired.

11. rjg

rjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    One other thing to try is to go into settings and set it to high altitude mode. This tells the fans to go faster. If the actual cooling is deficient it might mean that it now copes. If it is something else like fan control issues then it will probably cut out the same as before. Either way, this or similar issues do seem to be common so it is worth searching for it on here and elsewhere.