1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector or Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by LJT, Feb 17, 2003.

1. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quandry time for me. I want to upgrade from my Phillips hopper sv10. I like the concept od PJ's but the problems of PJ's are making me swing to plasma.

1) Inconvenience of set up
    2) Progressive muck in the light engine and on the optics and the cost of cleaning
    3) The limited lamp life and cost on renewal. (I accept that this is improving with economy settings available) That still only means realistically 3-6000 HRS

Now a plasma screen seems to offer
    1) Easy set up
    2) No problem whatsover with cleaning. Why a friend can have a fag in the no-smoking area of my lounge!
    3) Then theres the longevity with Plasma's life expectancy up to 20-30000 hrs.

I realise of course that the pJ offers a much larger scale of image.
    But what about picture quality i.e. conrast, definition, fan noise even.
    I'd appreciate any opinions on the virtues and negatives of both mediums.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think it's an easy one to answer.

Q: Do you prefer watching movies in the dark, on a large screen?

If not, you may probably prefer a posh looking plasma on your wall that can be watched in normal ambient lighting, just it's closer to TV size than projected film size.

regards,
    Rob.

3. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In truth a top calss plasma can still only offer the picture quality of an entry level projector. When I first got a plasma in my office it litterally drove me crazy, I was always altering the settings to try and get rid of dot crawl, solarisation and digital artifacting. I have now owened three plasmas and to be honest all of the above problems still exist.

To get a reasonable screen you will pay around £3.5k to £5k for a 42inch set. You could get a better image from a projector and a 6 ft screen for around half that. If you want to spend 5K you can get an 8 to 10ft screen and intermediate projector with images that will make a plasma look like a 1940s tv.

Stick with crt for telly and treat yourself to PJ for the movies :smashin:

Phil