1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Opinions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by matblack, Feb 14, 2005.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys

I have been offered one of these for £450

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-X1000U.htm

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?

It will be going in a cellar conversion with a 3.5m throw to the screen, light levels will be very dim for viewing and it will occationally be used for video gaming. Seating will be at about 3m.

The seller seems very genuine and the bulb is almost new.

Although it will be XGA I will want to run in widescreen for DVD, is this a problem?

The small number of reviews I have seen seem very favorable but there arn't many around.

Cheers

MB

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    If this is your first projector, then I think you will be very pleased indeed with it. It has a very bright image and an excellent resolution. What it will lack is a high contrast ratio and it is only a 4:3 ratio not a 16:9 ratio. What this means is when watching a 16:9 image, the size will be smaller than a 4:3 image ( which is the opposite of a 16:9 ratio projector) Because of the high resolution, this should not be a problem as you can zoom the image bigger.
    Sony has always made superb LCD projectors and although this model isn't a dedicated Home Cinema one, I'm sure it will carry out the duty admirably.

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sounds good.

Yes it would be my first projector and I would be running it off a DVD player or my PC.

Do you have any idea on how big a picture I can expect off the 4m throw? It would really help to sway me if I knew :)

Ahhhhh you mention zooming, does this mean I will be able to adjust the picture size without moving the projector closer to the screen? That probably sounds like a really nooby question

MB

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You would get an image of between 1.81m and 2.16m across depending on the zoom you have. Yes, you have a manual zoom ring around the lens. turn this and the image zooms in or out making it larger or smaller all without moving the projector a bit!

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Zooming is great.
    When people come to see the TX I I love to zoom to the minimum image and say "hey this is what a 52" 4 grand plasma would look like :) "...PJ

6. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    You're evil, I like it :rotfl:

KH

7. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

:thumbsup: Thats HUGE!

Hehe, I've told the guy I'm going to buy it, will have to wait and see what its like but at that price with a new bulb it seems like a good deal and its supposed to be built like a tank. I get a lazer pointer in the remote too :cool:

Now to start thinking about moving my old Marantz AV Amp and speakers to the basement and getting a new setup for upstairs. :devil:

MB