1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector novice - just arrived from the plasma forum

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by longyp, Oct 12, 2005.

1. longyp

longyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just arrived from the Plasma forum where a great bunch of people there helped me decide that based on my room size (20ftX30ft) i'll probably be better off going for a projector solution - (even a 50" plasma seems lost in the room if I manually measure up).

So..where I knew a little about Plasma I know nothing about Projectors.

I'm no AV nut (obviously) - so entry level stuff will be fine.

I'm looking for some comments or advice on the following - and any help is appreciated :clap:

1. Seen this deal http://www.projectorscreen.co.uk/html/projector_bundles.html which seems good value and the projector has reasonable write ups. Any comments?

2. Where really is the best place for a projector. My room is big enough so I can have the PJ on the floor (in front of the seating area) but I am concerned about cable mess OR the ceiling in which case again I worry about running all the cables etc etc

3. Initially my inputs to the PJ will be a DVD player/games console and RF for TV/Sky. Do you need some converter etc to plug an RF signal into a PJ and how do you split out the audio etc.

2. fatgit

fatgit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dammit, wish I'd seen that before Monday :eek:
    Got the epson arriving today, and the price was £494inc Vat & Delivery for the PJ alone :eek:

The TW10H does seem to be a decent entry PJ, which is why I went for it, and those bundles seem pretty good value to me.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    The prices seem to be ex VAT and carriage, but good value nonetheless.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    That's a bit of a budget discrepancy - 50in plasma to £500 PJ :) :)

TBH more info is needed before you'll get any meaningful advice really.

How well can you control the light in this room - a PJ requires at least a darkened room in order to get a decent image - ambient light destroys the image!

Assuming you can use at least rudimentary light control, the first thing to decide, is where you are going to mount your screen.
    Once done you need to decide how far way from it you will be sitting (ie viewing distance) - then you can work out a suitable screen size. As a ballpark use the formula

screen width = viewing distance / 2

So for example, if you are sat 16ft away, you'd want a screen 8ft (96ins) wide, or in diagonal terms 110".

Next, you need to decide where to mount the prospective PJ.
    Basically, your choices will be a celing mount, a rear wall mounted shelf, or a coffee table or similar. One thing to bear in mind with a ceiling mount, is that you must ensure that the PJ has a clear shoot at the screen - many rooms have one or more light pendants hanging down, so make sure the light path is not blacked by any of them.

Once this info is known, you can then go about selecting a projector which fits in with your requirements - not the other way round.
    Of course if you can rearrange the room to fit in with the PJ, you can do it the other way round, and just select a PJ first, and then alter everything around to fit the PJ's requirements.

5. longyp

longyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses. If it's good enough for fatgit..it's good enough for me..just ordered one with screen! - I;ve never been one for fully researching this stuff - and eventually just end up diving in..oh well..let's see how it goes!

If I were to mount the PJ on the ceiling - naturally I guess you need to start running some v.long cables along the roof area and back into the room for connection to your games consoles/dvd etc

Hmmm..just though I need an amp as well!!!! - my god I am amateur at this stuff - so basically - you get a PJ and by the time you buy all your widgets to go with it you are back up to the price of the large plasmas LOL :suicide:

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    80" to 100" plasmas were 20K plus last time I remember reading about them! Also you need a lot of the "widgets" with a plasma too (amps, speakers, subs etc) if you want to make the most of the audio. The extra things are usually longer leads, screen and potentially a ceiling mount. If you adopt a DIY approach this doesn't need to cost a lot of money.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase, it's a nice PJ by all accounts and I'm sure you'll have fun hooking it all together!...PJ

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm thought it was a bargain and just called a friend and told him. wish companies in the uk wouldnt do this. its illegal to do it in outher countries such as germany. paaah!:lesson:

anyway the epson tw10h is about £390 in Germany all taxes paid:
    http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/a102884.html

8. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So how does a newbie like me decide between the Epson EMP-TW10H and the Z3?

The Epson works with with SKY, DVD, VCR, HOME CINEMA, XBOX, PS2, PC, Laptop. So what more can the Z3 do that I might need?

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    The Z3, if you can get one, has 1280x720 pixel reolution where as the TW10 is only 854x480 so the Z3 has far superior resolution. The Z3 also has a higher contrast rating at 2000:1 compared to 700:1.

10. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks inzaman.

11. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    inzaman is spot on - just to add that the extra res on the Z3 means it is HD ready, an industry standard for future HDTV and HD DVD / Blu-ray. The epson will not be able to take full advantage of these but is much cheaper and good starting machine. The Z3 is HD ready as is the TX100 which you may wish to consider importing at a price not far off the UK price of the epson (see elsewhere in the forum for information on this).

12. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want a great new starting machine which has a great picture, and has a 2 year warranty look at the Tosh ET1 for £380 inc. of VAT and P&P :thumbsup: and is from a UK source (not that theres nothing wrong with buying from Germany :devil: ) :rotfl:

13. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Deano, good call although there are some reports of early lamp failure being common with the tosh et1 whereas the epson seems to be a good little bunny :)

And yes theres nothing wrong with importing - maybe one day some German or French retailers will also be forums sponsors!

14. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of buying a ceiling mounted screen myself for my PJ and would like some help with the choice myself. I was thinking of going for a DRH Slimline Matt White 16:9 screen (Picture Size: 231cm x 130cm, 1:1 Gain). I sit about 3.25m away from the screen and going by your little formula there this would make the screen too big. I have had a play with screen sizes projected onto the wall where the screen will go and it doesn't initially seem too big to me. Also going by the 'Selecting the right screen' section on the Beamax web site they recommend for a 16:9 screen that the minimum viewing distance is the diagonal size of the screen.

Am I being over ambitious with the large screen? Would it be advisable that I go for a smaller screen and stick to MikeK's formula? Or will this BIG screen give me the true cinema experience I am after? It is hard to tell if that sized screen will give me a headache without actually watching a film at that size. I've already started a thread over in the 'Projection Screen' section asking about screens if anyone can help me(http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255443). I've just been and tested screen sizes once again on my wall and have worked out the smallest screen size I can create with the projector mounted at the distance I was planning on is 2m wide!

I already have the Epson EMP-TW10 (without the H). For those thinking of taking the plunge with a projector but don't want to spend a fortune I can recommend it highly. I know it is far from the best but you can’t really beat it for around £400 and it is a good starting point.

I've not used my projector for a while due to getting a new 42" Panasonic plasma. I'm now planning on mounting the projector on the ceiling and mounting a screen at the same time which will pull down in front of my plasma so I can watch movies on a VERY big screen with minimal effort meaning using the projector far more often.

As well as a screen I am currently looking for a cheap but good ceiling mount for the PJ (also a possibility of mounting on the wall). I started another thread about ceiling mounts etc. here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2053956.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a ceiling mount? I don't want to have to use keystone at all which means that I need to aim to mount the centre of the projector lens exactly in line with the top of the screen. Assuming I get the DRH screen the top of the screen could be anything from 6cm (case height) to 51cm (case height plus the entire top black border) from the ceiling. The distance on the projector from the centre of the lens to the mounting points is 6cm. So I would need a ceiling mount with a drop of anything from say 10cm (I would want at least a small black border at the top) to 45cm.

As mentioned in my other thread I have seen this bargain ceiling mount: http://www.margothedog.com/html/ceiling_projector_mounts.html at £29.99. It has a 23cm drop from what I can make out. This would mean a picture which was 29cm from the ceiling utilising 23cm of the black border. This sounds to be pretty good to me. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea at all or if I am doing something wrong?

The only other thing I need to consider now is how to run the cables neatly from the ceiling across the floor to the other side of the room. I suppose trunking along the ceiling and then down the corner of the room and under the carpet is the easiest option for now.

:thumbsup: