1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Metric, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if the SHARP XVC20E is any good as my first budget home projector. I will be watching dvds only.

How do you work out how big the screen can go...is there a formula...120" screen needs a projector 20 feet away?

anyone selling a second hand lcd projector, ive read other threads which state crt are better, but line doublers, setups, noise and space put me off

any help appreciated

Thanks
    Mike

2. JonW

JonW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the same lines does anyone know if the Sharp XV-ZW60 is any good? I know it probably won't hold up to the Sony VW10 but it is considerably cheaper.

Thanks
    Jon
    Sorry for posting the same question again but the other thread seems to have died.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Metric

I looked at buying a Sharp XVc20E about 2 years ago, attracted by the cheap price, but I was put off for the following reasons..

1. It will not handle anamorphic DVD's which for a home cinema/DVD user is a must. It is only really suited to 4:3 images.

2. The cost of bulb replacement is a wapping £280, and you can't do it yourself! It will require regular services at a Sharp Service centre to change the bulb and get a clean (so Sharp say anyway)

3. It only has 1 LCD panel. This does show up the chicken-wire effect very badley and any image of 60" are is terrible. You really need 3 separate panels.

Don't, get me wrong, for the price it does a good job (you can get it for less than £1000 now), but I wanted something better, especially to match with my DVD player.

Try looking at the new Philips Hopper SV20i!

Hope this helps!

Meat