Projector newbie - Please help!

J

JoshuaB

Hi all, I am pretty new to posting here, but regularly login and read all your comments and posts.. I find it a great place to get information.

I am about to convert my loft to a cinema room after convincing the wife! :D

The usable space once converted will be around 7ft width and just over 12ft long.
In realistic terms, this means the projector would be around 9ft away from the screen and the maximum screen I could imagine having would be around 80" due to space on the wall at the end.

I wondered if anyone could help with the following:

1) What is the recommended height for the projector to be off the floor/away from the ceiling
2) Same question with regards to the screen, is there a recommended height from the floor?
3) I am looking at purchasing the infocus IN78 projector, any comments on this projector based on the space? (It will be a loft conversion without windows to allow for the least ambient light possible as it will be purely a cinema room.

Thanks guys, When I get started I will post before, during and after pics for you all :)

MadScientist

I think your screen position is largely going to be dictated by practical considerations. I would start by doing my sums based where you propose to mount the projector which I assume in a loft conversion will be on the ceiling. I don't think the IN78 has a lens shift capability so if possible you should aim to get it all set up so as not to use any keystone correction as this degrades the image slightly. I would therefore start by looking at suitable mounting positions for the projector and then calculate the offset in the image from the IN78 manual. Does this give a reasonable position for the screen? Mounting brackets will allow some adjustments but not a great deal.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on screen height as not all seating is this same. In your seating position, do your eyes comfortably rest at about where the centre of the screen will by? Is there room for your front speakers either side of the screen, if not then obviously your screen will have to be high enough to clear them.

Have fun.

MS

J

JoshuaB

Thanks for your advice, does this mean that the projector needs to be roughly centre to the screen then? or can it be higher up and pointing slightly down at an angle to the screen?

Sorry, I am somewhat knowledgable when it comes to Plasma and LCD and brackets but I am new to the projector world so learning as I go along :)

gmp

We've got pj in loft conversion which is bigger than your proposed but pj and screen (flat wall) set up is just slightly bigger (about 15 ft from screen). First thing that strikes me is heat issues and whether you could watch comfortably without ventilation in summer. We've got 3 windows in our conversion which allows for good air flow in summer but still get pretty hot. A/C is a possibility but then you have noise of unit to think about and guess you'll get fair bit of heat of pj and other elcectrical suff. On plus side our pj sits under our sofa with good clearance for ventilation and wifee like the way hot air pumped out keeps her toes warm in winter!

MadScientist

Laterally, the projector should be as close as possibel to the screen centre. With respect to vertical postion, the projector lens plane will be above the top of the screen (if ceiling mounted) and ideally not angled either up or down. I suggest you do your calculations based on the reference guide figures.

http://www.infocus.com/service/IN72/downloads/refguides/English_Refguide.pdf

MS

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom