• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Projector Newbie - Help me decide what to get?

dieni

Standard Member
Hi, total newbie here... In a months time we will be moving into our recently refurbished home.

I still haven't decided between a 55" Led TV or a projector. The BenQ W1070 has caught my attention, considering its price/performance, but I am not sure it will fit into my room. Can you please tell me if it will fit or not? Attached is a pic showing how the room will be setup including dimensions.

Considering the wall unit, the max size horizontally for the screen in about 2m, not sure if this is enough for the BenQ projector taking into account the throw distance..

Total newbie here, so bear with me :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Living.JPG
    Living.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Is this for every day use? If so a pj imho is not really suitable for everyday use, you can't just turn them on and off like TV's. Bulbs will need replacing after around 3000hrs approx. Better to get a normal TV for general use and then use the PJ for films and big screen events (football, etc).

dieni

Standard Member
Hi, no actually is the watching movies/football room. I have another everyday living room which I will place another TV there.

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Hi, no actually is the watching movies/football room. I have another everyday living room which I will place another TV there.

Oh ok. In that case the first thing you need to do is try and get a demo of a DLP pj and see if you can see rainbows (google dlp rainbows).

dieni

Standard Member
I live in Malta, over here there aren't many shops were you can demo a projector.. only one shop comes to mind, will check if I can demo a projector there.. but it won't be a BenQ for sure..

Just to be a bit more informed before I go and try to get a demo, will I be able to get the projector image show properly considering the size of the room etc...?

sub routine

Established Member
yes, i have one and my room is smaller than yours. 3.5 - 3.2 metres. The front of my lens is 2.9 m away from the screen and i am viewing a 100" screen at 3 metres away. This is a perfect size for my viewing distance and the scale is awesome for movies and special occasion viewing.

and this should tell you what you can actually get dependant on projector placement. You should investigate a few just to see what you can get. I think you`ll be surprised.
Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
It all depends on your budget and what equipment you already have? You can spend anywhere between £700 and £3000 on a LED TV depending on what quality of picture you require. What system have you already got for sound as PJ's don't do sound(well not good enough for me anyway).

dieni

Standard Member
The projector lens will be a maximum of 330cm for the screen, I really don't wish the projector being installed too far off the back wall... And the maximum width of the screen can be around 210cm considering the wall unit etc.. With these sizes in mind, can the BenQ image fit with good results?

Budget wise for a TV would be around €1200 (1000 sterling or so)

As with regards to sound, I have a surround made up of Mordaunt Short MS20i for fronts, Mordaunt Short MS10i for rears, a Yamaha Active Sub and can't remember the name of the centre speaker. As a receiver, I have an old Kenwood, which I am planning to replace soon.

The shop I mentioned earlier stocks Optomas projectors and has the Optoma HD25 for €1000 and the Optoma HD33 for €1300..

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Well with sound covered why spend less on a possible 100" screen than you would a 55"? I can never understand the logic of that. If it was me I would go for the Optoma HD25 (don't forget to haggle you never know unless you ask) it will be far superior to the BenQ.

sub routine

Established Member
I have just moved onto a projector screen and have to say its awesome :) take a look at the hardware review section on the forum. Both the hd25 and w1070 are reviewed there

All the info you require to determine the screen sizing is in the link in my previous post. See what you can get, honestly once you get a big screen up its awe inspiring :D

Dan L

Established Member
Well with sound covered why spend less on a possible 100" screen than you would a 55"? I can never understand the logic of that. If it was me I would go for the Optoma HD25 (don't forget to haggle you never know unless you ask) it will be far superior to the BenQ.

"Far superior" - doubtful.

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
The Benq is an excellent projector for the money and you will note from the reviews around that the Optoma HD25 does not appear vastly superior ad suggested.

I suggest you check the throw/screen size of each and take it from there. Definitely try and demo and if all you can see is the Optoma then that may be the one you go for. But i doubt you would be disappointed by the Benq either.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
"Far superior" - doubtful.

Dan, I may have overstated it but with the contrast ratio nearly double I believe the picture will be better plus looking at his PJ placement the lower fan noise on the Optoma might be an added bonus. But as has already been stated by others a demo is a must when paying out this sort of money.
Steve

dieni

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far..

Does the HD25 come with 3D glasses?

With regards to budget, the projector will need a bracket and a screen, which I guess with come inline with my budget in the end..

I was having a look at projector central, but I am not sure if I understanding the output result that I am getting. Once I put the distance to 3.3m,set the screen width to 2m.. the result I get is saying - recommended for low light ambient. Is this any good?

dieni

Standard Member
Found a shop which will be getting the BenQ W1070 next week. The only downside is that it will be available for €999.

The Optoma is the same price locally, so now I don't know which projector should go for?

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Found a shop which will be getting the BenQ W1070 next week. The only downside is that it will be available for €999.

The Optoma is the same price locally, so now I don't know which projector should go for?

Go and demo both then if you can. I cannot speak for the Optoma but I am really pleased with my Benq. Awesome picture and very happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom