Projector newbie - basic questions...

R

rjs1974

I currently own a Sony KP44PX2U RP TV and want to swap it for a projector, probably the Sony VPL-HS10.

A few questions: Can you buy a white screen ready made, in various sizes? Does it come on a stand like ones you get in conference rooms etc.?

Does the projector itself suffer from either of the common problems with Sony (and other) RP sets, namely:

(1) Yellow/nicotine colour staining on right hand side of screen, most noticeable when screen is bright white?

(2) Iffy convergence at bottom of screen? i.e. green or pink glow along black border sometimes?

Also, is the black level about as good/bad as a RP set?

Thanks guys!! I am really curious as to whether a projector would compare well against my PX2U, image size aside.

Yo

I went from a Sony RPTV to the Sanyo Z1.
There is no comparison, the Z1 is a much clearer, brighter picture(not that i had any problems with the brightness on sony)

Black level is similar, depends on your persoanl preference.
Screen, get one fixed to wall and you pull it down like a blind or electric.

You wont be disappointed !

John

Hi

I had a Sony 41 which had problems and so I ended up with a Toshiba 46. I have just got the Sanyo Z1 and sold the Tosh. Absolutely delighted with it, just wish I had done it before! I would say the picture is better than the Sony and on a par with the Tosh.

Got a 92" draper luma manual pull down screen from AV Sales £250 ish and fixed it to the wall using plasterboard screws, got a mate to help and it only took a few minutes. The Z1 lets you shift the image up and down and left to right optically (so no quality loss) as well as compensating for tilt (digital keystone - some quality loss so use as little as possible).

Am using prog scan ntsc dvd and component, this is noticably better than s video interlaced. Sitting 12 feet back.

Gus

Yo Gus.

What DVD player ?
Have you compared Interlaced to PS, is there much difference. I tried the Limit DVD and could hardly notice anything.

john

Hi John

Arcam DV88P.

10m Component Prog Scan vs 10m SVHS Interlaced. Van Damme cables.

Region 1 DVD's NTSC.

Switching between the 2 there in an obvious increase in smoothness and less noise or fizz for want of a better word at the edges of some objects. Overall it is easy to see which is the prog scan and I am happy that I had the Arcam upgraded. If I hadn't seen the prog scan I would be pretty happy with the Z1 but with PS I am delighted with it.

Have a Pioneer 606 away for repair, when it's back I will try it as it has component out but is not prog scan.

Gus

Yo

Ok, but what I wondered was can you compare PS versus interlaced on the component connection. ie turn off ps, check picture, then turn it back on all on component.

DV88p very nice.

John

John

Will test a number of dvd's and report back in couple of days.

Was it the Limit 9900se (i think) from Richer Sounds?

Interested in one of these as a second player, 606 may not be economic to repair..

Gus

Yo

Yes it was the Limit. but its normal picture wasnt as good as my Marantz DV7000.

John

I have just got the z1 and i think it is pretty amazing. I am very very happy with it. the only prob i have noticed is faint vertical bands - does anyone know if these will disapear when using component or a computer to view films. I sit too close - 10ft from an 8 ft picture, but the screen door is not so noticable as the projectors I have seen at work.
I have the projector positioned about 6 inches from a wall. Anyone know if this is a prob. the exhaust vent is on the back of the z1, but the fan has never started up on the high setting even when it has been on for 3 hours.

I can conclude that the RPs i have seen do not compare with one of these Pj.
mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom