Projector mounting??

clarkyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i a building a home theater room, which will be built entirely around the equipment inside it so i can make up my own dimensions. Ideally the PJ will be ceiling mounted with approx 7ft high ceilings, will this be ok or will the angle be too great- it will be about 10ft away from the screen aswell

thanks

Good luck with your project! I think you should be fine but do some more research especially when you decide on which projector you want. Projectors with optical lens shift afford much more flexibility (but that doesn't mean ones without shouldn't be investigated!).

As a rule of thumb if you are going to sit 10ft from the screen you should plan to make the image around 6ft wide, perhaps even less...PJ

I'd differ from that. Ideal screen width is 66% of your viewing distance.

Typically projectors, when ceiling mounted (i.e. upside down), are optimised such that the TOP of the screen is level with the projector lens. You'll need to use lens shift (if yours has this) if your screen is lower or higher than this.

The other thing you need to include, when choosing, is the throw distance/size (i.e. the properties of the lens).

LV426 said:
I'd differ from that. Ideal screen width is 66% of your viewing distance.

He was a whole 6% out! (Well, maybe less as he said 'around 6ft'...) Sloppy work PJTX :lesson: :D

At this stage I'd advise you to go and read shedloads (sic) on room acoustics. PJ setup is a doddle compared to this and if you have total freedom within the room then you could make something really special.

Excuse me. It was the "even less" bit I disagree with. Sorry.

I'll be more careful next time. ;)

I mounted mine with a cheap vcr mount for a tv bracket from argos. I was lucky enough to have a beam at just the right hieght though, see my site for pics. It may not be ideal for your situation though. This is also 3meters away from a 5ft screen, and uses no keystone correction.

I was thinking about a lift mecahnsim in the roof rtaher than a stalk but im also thinking about just securing it to a piece of wood sticking out of the back wall at just above head height instead of ceiling mounting it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom