1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Mounting.. Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chubbs, Jun 30, 2004.

1. chubbs

chubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am currently in the process of installing my home cinema equipment into my house and I am going to be buying a projector in the near future.

I am putting in a false ceiling so I can have a projector drop down from the ceiling when I watch films, but will be out of sight when I'm not, but I cannot seem find anything that I can use as the projector mount without it costing about £1000+.

It does not need to be electrically motorised, although this would be good, as I will be able to reach up and press the part of the ceiling that it is in.

It only needs to drop approximately 12" to the viewing point.

If anyone has any DIY ideas for this or if there is somewhere that I can buy something similar it would be appreciated if you can help me out.

Many thanks

Keith

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  3. chubbs

chubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, I have had a look on there site and it is more of a projector lift mount that I need.

Something that will go into the ceiling so I can't see it when the projector isn't working. the only one i've seen is at

http://www.projected.co.uk/projector-lifts.htm

the cheapest one they do is £940!!

I was thinking of something that I can make myself on some type of gas cartridge system, small electric motor or just a latch mechanism that will lock into place when I push it back up into the ceiling..

anyone else done this?? help please..

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    I've seen large 4-tube type light fittings (4 4ft tubes) which use long spring clips, and allow the light diffuser to drop down to be removed and the tubes changed. This method could be used and would be very cheap. You just push it back to clip flush with the ceiling. You'd probably have to have a pj that has lens shift, as I think inverting one may be tricky, though not impossible to mount upside down on the ceiling tile. Weight would be an issue, but more spring clips (6 instead of 4) could get round it.

Not sure how accurate it would be for being in the same place each time either, but it's the first idea that came to mind.

There are probably lots of other things that can be modified cheaply, so have a look round at things which may not be obvious - upturned draw runners and a catch mechanism maybe.

Gary

5. chubbs

chubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks gary, I'll have a look into it.

If there is any other ideas that anyone has then it would be appreciated.

cheers

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Just googling this for fun...
    http://www.the-office.com/summerlift/liftspecs.htm
    These guys seem to use nylon straps and motors to control the weight which looks like an easier option that a scissor lift mechanism.

Using stopped draw runners mounted vertically would seem to be a good idea to keep the alignment, maybe a simple pulley to lift and drop the projector?
    You might want to try the DIY forum for some other opinions as there are some very ambitious DIY people in there!

7. Rossers

Rossers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have any luck Chubbs?
    I've been pondering with the idea myself and I'm thinking about giving an electric car window mechanism a go.

8. chubbs

chubbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any luck just yet, a friend of mine has told me that he could use some type of electric servo out of a remote control car with a couple of electric piston rams that will be activated by the servo.

Apparently he reckons that we can get most of the equipment from maplins, he's told me that they do a ram kit for about £60 and the servo for the remote controlling and chip will be about £20. the rest will be made from a meccano type material for the projector to rest on.

To be honest, I am happy to let my mate have a fiddle about and see what he comes up with. If it does ever work, I will post some photo's on here for you.