1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector mounting & centre of gravity of pj

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by martian1, Jun 8, 2005.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Just had a go at mounting my projector [vogels mount] i clamped mounting plate central and then mounted..But it seems to want to drop to the lense side of my pj :mad: obviously its heavier this side. Do i just re- mount plate further to the lense side or what? Shame as i lined centre of room etc to mount as i have it, when i move plate it will push it out a bit to the left [i think]. Any ideas guys..Thanks :smashin:

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    anyone used a voguls mount?

3. lukemh

lukemh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the industry and I have never heard of this mount, Im a unicol fan you get what you pay for and they test every projector......I know I have to take them there!

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :confused: one of the best known brands when I was looking around...!

http://www.vogels.com/product/products.aspx?pg=13&id=119&taal=2

I'm surprised there's no tightening mechanism to stop it from being affected by the centre of gravity.

...PJ :)

5. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well it does have a tightening mechanism just not a great one. Two bolts go through mounting tube which tighten it up, now because i struggled to hold it square i may have tightened it up wrong hence it hanging down [pulling out of shroud at one side] this was caused by projector weight being all at one side. Another thing the mounting arms can fit in a few positions its finding the right one. There isn't much chance of it dropping but it just looked crap.
    Anyone have a method to attach arms distrubuting wait more evenly? :smashin:

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Ok sorted..Must read instructions :D

7. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I can't understand why these mounts are so expensive,
    I want to get my epson tw10h up on the ceiling,
    it cost me £555 to buy the projector but it seems like it will be well over £100 for the cheapest bracket for it !! and that's before vat and delivery are added !!!
    what's that all about ?
    in fact a couple of websites I looked at when I did a google search for an "epson tw10h ceiling mount" wanted £330 for the damn things :eek:

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Squeezing as much out of punters as possible!

I felt exactly the same when I was looking, hence inspired by Gary Lightfoot's DIY bracket I made one myself. A suitable piece of MDF (for the plate) and some sort of speaker/TV bracket can be worked in a number of ways to suit the purpose. I ended up using the tongue and groove of some floorboard to fashion a sliding clamp.

Sprayed black, looks the biz, cost a small fraction of a commercial mount.
    ..PJ :)

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    :rolleyes: Yep your most likely right, i got a vogels and it ani't anything special for the money. But its designed for the job and i am running out of DIY time, built room screen and pc for home cinema taken me 9 months now and i want to get in

10. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another Vogels owner here. I made the mistake of replacing the trunking for the PJ cables one day and it took me absolutely ages to re-align the projector again afterwards (and I'd kept the movement to a minimum too..) as it kept sinking on the lens side as described in the first thread. One thing's for sure, I am not moving that projector again unless we move house or it needs a bulb.

11. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Vogel universal mount for about £70 from AVRabbit : http://www.avrabbit.com/products.asp?hdnTable=MH&SecBus=1

Arrived in a few days and did the job. Note that mine also drops down from the weight of the projector. It is a bit annoying as the image is slanting very slightly upwards to the right. Think it's because the screen is not completely straight. You don't even notice, but would be nice to angle the projector slightly to align correctly with the screen. I was told by an AV installation company that the mount could be set into place (ie. it won't move, or be affected by gravity) by using the special key that came with it on a screw(thingy) on the centre of the underside of the mount, between the mount and the projector (not the two screws that go into the ceiling). Sounds like diffusing a bomb or something. I haven't tried it yet so can't say if this is true.

Cheers

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I use a Vogels with my Z2 and have not had any problems with it dropping to one side with gravity.

I did tighten it all up pretty good though and, even though the projector can still be moved on the swiveling bracket, it dosn't seem to want to go anywhere without a bit of pressure.

13. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is it like they said? In the exact centre of the main plate? And it's not dropping to one side, just the whole thing slants forwards because of the projector weight. Needs a bit of vertical shift to get it correct. Although I'm assuming this isn't the ideal setup. ie. should be facing completely forward with no slant. If you then lift it up on the mount then it comes back down again. Annoying because the manual never mentions it, and the picture on the box even looks like it is moved down because of gravity. The slant to one side is me wanting to actually slant it slightly to line up perfectly with my screen, which is very very slightly lower on one side. When I slant the projector on the mount it quickly returns to (just about) it's normal position. The projector itself feels quite loose in the mount. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to fall down, but moving it around is much too easy, and it doesn't stay in the place you move it to (apart from turning left and right obviously).

Cheers

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    My projector dosn't feel loose at all in the mount and any movement requires a bit of effort.

If I remember correctly then yes, there is a screw in the centre of the mount were the plate joines with the tube that tightens up the swivel section.

15. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha. Tops. Will sort it out at some point, once I can be bothered going outside to get my ladder and equipment. Rather depressing weather at the minute. Still, what can you expect for *June*? ;)

Cheers

16. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well all you guys know what i am talking about now :eek: i hope offsetting mounting plate further to the heavy side helps. I have tightened the centre allen key and lock nut which tightens it into the ball socket. If it still moves i will add a button washer which should strenghthen the grip on rubber joint. Still for another £25 i might have had none of this [LMP].

17. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    PJTX100, dont suppsoe you got any pics of your DIY PJ Mount have you?

Cheers

Dave

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    some pics here, plus some other good ideas such as how to get away with no PJ mount at all

it should be said that these sorts of solutions will only work if you have a PJ with optical lens shift...PJ :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175332