• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

projector mount

stegalv

Established Member
are the more expensive extendable ceiling mounts any better than the ebay amazon cheaper ones.been looking at photos on various websites and there dos'nt seem to be a lot of difference.
does an £180 pound vogel one do a better job than a £25 amazon one?

TIm1059

Standard Member
I am using a peerless projector mount PRG-UNV which has adjustment in two planes via geared system. It's very stable and doesn't move if knocked. I think you can get extension poles for them. I have used a couple of Vogels ceiling mounts in the past for 2 previous projectors and they were OK but were reliant on a friction grip system which was a little prone to moving if the projector was knocked. I have a JVC N7 which is quite a big unit, and is why I went for Peerless this time. I prefer the look of the Vogels units but you do pay for the styling and the peerless wins hands down for stability and ease of adjustment. I would be very careful about buying a cheap mount particularly if you have a heavy projector, and i would have a good look at the fixing mechanism for holding it in position. I think a lot depends on the weight of the projector that you have. If its relatively light you could probably get away with a cheap unit but you might need to pay bit more if you have a bigger unit.

Broadsword

Prominent Member
I have a cheap mount for mine, its a 8kg projector and the key is findling the center of gravity on the fixings, if it’s off a little it will move eventually and it’s really hard to attach the mount arms and get the unit stable at the same time. It’s really tricky and tedious. The movement is a tension system which you can amend but have it too loose it will move but too tight and you won’t get the slight adjustment you need. A gear system makes all that much easier but then it depends on how much you want to spend.

stegalv

Established Member
thanks both,i'll have to look into ones with a gear system,didn't know about them.i have always used the cheaper ones,they've been ok and done the job but like you say they move sometimes,and can be a bit wobbly.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
@stegalv I use a peerless PRG mount. have used for years its seen both epson and jvc projectors come and go over the years !

when i first got into projectors i bought a cheap mount locally for my epson... found it damn near impossible to use to accurately setup and hold in place.... took back to the retailer... took it straight back saying I wish had told him projector planned to use on as would never have sold it to me... they are more for your very small light weight things I think. tricky and tedious as described above is probably good description ...

I got my prg mount from B&H :) if wanting something even better there is the "strong" mount which I believe gives precision adjustment in 3 axis over the 2 axis of the peerless...

you want precision adjustment of the peerless or strong to dial into perfection...

stegalv

Established Member
thanks alebonou,the peerless looks a good system,but £130 just for the base then as far as i can see you have to buy the ceiling plate seperate and then the adjustable pole seperate,seems overpriced to me,
it's not too complicated to lock an adjustable bracket,i'm sure i can find a mount that will do the job for a lot less,

alebonau

Distinguished Member
thanks alebonou,the peerless looks a good system,but £130 just for the base then as far as i can see you have to buy the ceiling plate seperate and then the adjustable pole seperate,seems overpriced to me,

only the ceiling plate if want ... most just go straight to ceiling. Don’t need adjustable rod. Most just use the fixed lengths they need or go to plumbing trade shop get them to cut pipe and thread.

it's not too complicated to lock an adjustable bracket,i'm sure i can find a mount that will do the job for a lot less,

in the 5 projectors have owned I think I can safely say the benefit of the prg universal mount is not something I’d under play. My last three jvc have just slid out the prgs quick release slide ..mount adapter moved from one to other. Not even adjustments needed ! That’s the precision. Also taken two epsons abs child’s play to dial in.

I believed as you did buying my first mount ... soon realised otherwise :D

I can understand if it’s a budget light weight projector, but if anything serious eg one of epson, Sony or jvc, I’d suggest don’t skimp on the mount :)

Last edited:

stegalv

Established Member
i agree the system looks good and understand your happy with it,but i struggle to pay £130 quid for an adjustable bracket,i have had 4 projectors over the last 18yrs so setting them in position every 4 years or so i don't think the quick release system is something i miss.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
i agree the system looks good and understand your happy with it,but i struggle to pay £130 quid for an adjustable bracket,i have had 4 projectors over the last 18yrs so setting them in position every 4 years or so i don't think the quick release system is something i miss.

just answering the original question of the opening post. but if totally happy with what have and been using the last 18 years and 4 projectors ? then just keep using it I guess ? :)

stegalv

Established Member
This latest mount i bought a couple of years ago does the job of supporting the projector,but the locking system on the mounting bracket is not the best,it does move slightly if I'm cleaning dust off the projector,hence wanting a better locking mount,even though its not much of a problem.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
This latest mount i bought a couple of years ago does the job of supporting the projector,but the locking system on the mounting bracket is not the best,it does move slightly if I'm cleaning dust off the projector,hence wanting a better locking mount,even though its not much of a problem.
Which is why suggested the peerless or strong. Both not only adjustments to precision ... they also lock down the settings. Ie hold them .. to point can exchange the entire projector and still hold setting on the peerless.

I understand out of budget... hope someone has alternate suggestion to meet your needs :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom