1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector location problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Grimley, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Right folks, I'm on the very brink of buying a PJ too (drum roll please).
    I'm going to buy either a Panasonic A300 or Sanyo Z2 (saw a demo of the Panny in JL Bluewater (liked it) & I've yet to see the Z2, though I saw the Z1 last year at the Bristol show & I'm going again this year.

However, I do have a few problems regarding where it's going to be sited. The only place it's going to be able to be sited is on top of my wardrobe (the wardrobe is unfortunately a permanent fixture & cannot be removed, it is a necessary evil, I could be forced into buying lower height wardrobes as a last resort.
    There isn't a great deal of space between the top of the wardrobe & the top of the ceiling either (7 3/4" max)

The other problems are:

The light fitting (it extends approx. 6" - 7 1/2 " from the ceiling, it's roughly 4' 4" distance way from the wardrobe) IMO I don't think this is too serious though, I'm pretty certain it will not interfere with the projector throw.

The screen (which will be ceiling mounted & manual pull down) will be approx. 8' 4" to 9' 8" away (throw distance) depending on the ceiling beams, but the furthest distance will be a bigger problem 'cos. the max. Drop down size of the screen will be 4' 6" & the chimneybreast coving will obscure the fitting.

The main problem is the projector siting itself. Because of the siting of it I've noticed on some other projector installs that the PJ itself is mounted upside down if it's ceiling mounted. If my PJ is sited high up (near the ceiling) would I have to do the same, or do I buy a model with lens shift to compensate?
    (Ceiling mount is not an option either)
    Have a look at the plan below

[​IMG]

A is the throw distance of the PJ
    B is the ceiling height
    C is the wardrobe depth (not really important but I put that measurement in anyway)
    D is the height of the space between the wardrobe & the ceiling
    E the depth of the light fitting (could be a problem)
    F will be the screen depth at max throw distance though that won't be a problem if I bring the screen closer.

I'm going to be sitting roughly 8' - 9' away when I'm watching & the PJ will be exclusively used for DVD watching (will not be used that much)

Larger TV/rear projection TV aren't an option either (due to the fact they will not go upstairs) Plasma is (admittedly) a more expensive option, but I want the biggest screen size I can get for a budget price.

Any advice suggestions please?

2. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Suggestions:

If light fitting interferes - remove it and install downlights. Most home cinema projectors would have to be placed upside down.

Throw distance is on the short side, your screen will not be a very big one I presume.

Mount inside wardrobe and cut a hole in the door:smoke:

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I did think about that, I could put it inside the wardrobe & open/ take the door off when watching it. could be a compromise IMO
    Ta

4. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Panny AE300/500 would have to be upside-down. Z1/2 would not have to be due to Sanyo's lens shift function.

5. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personaly i think plasma [ although expensive] could you less hassle. a projector in a bedroom your size just in my opinion wouldnt work. whats the actual screen image size your aiming for

6. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It's too late, I've ordered it, there's no going back now.
    Besides, It would be more hassle to move all the shelves where my DVD's are to accomodate a plasma anyway.
    I always sit in the front row when I go to the cinema so I think I will get a simliar effect at home from now on.

However I may change my mind sometime in the future.....

7. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perhaps re-locating you kit to a main living room.......have you considered that..............................

8. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how big will the image from the projector?i manage to get a projected image of 200cm width from a viewing distance of about 5 metres...and i could get even larger...

9. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    re-location? that's not an option either. I live with my folks (sad I know, but I like living at home & I do own my own place which unfortunately 100 miles away which I rent out)
    Screen size? according to PJ central it will be somewhere in the region of 78" to 98", but I won't know for certain until I install it.

Thanks anyway for suggesting

10. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Just a quick update folks, I got My AE300 from Discount TV yesterday & I've managed to install the screen (92" Draper Luma)
    I connected it to my DVD player via Composite lead & all I can say is I'm well pleased with it. Thanks to Ben for delivering on the day he promised. I was worried the screen was going to be too big at 1st but a few adjustments proved me wrong. All I've got to do now is wait for my component cable to arrive & sort out the audio side of my HC (won't be for another couple of weeks though)

The all new & improved Grimleyplex is coming soon folks, I can't wait.....

11. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Another question folks,
    My AE300 is more than likely to be placed inside my wardrobe.
    There will be approx. 6" at the back for the fan exhaust & 3-4" room atop the PJ. will this be OK regarding ventilation, I don't want it to catch fire in the middle of viewing a film!

If not, it will just have to sit on top of the wardrobe...

12. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I wouldn't run it inside a wardrobe. All the heat from the exhaust will build up in the compartment rather than dissipating.

My 2p.

13. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Ok then, how about taking away part of the back of the wardrobe (where the PJ is going to be) to allow the PJ 'room to breathe' so to speak? The PJ will still be roughly 8" away from the back wall. Removing the wardrobe itself is not a compromise I'm afraid...

14. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can,t see how a home cinema set up in a bedroom can work...anyway.......not my ideal choice.

15. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Not mine either really, but compromises have to be made when you don't live in your own house. I will probably have a dedicated HC room when I eventually move out, but I can't see that happening for sometime yet.

BTW the PJ does work OK in the Wardrobe, I took the back off the wardrobe to allow the PJ to 'Breathe'....

16. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Looking good mate

17. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blade is the movie methinks

18. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

I haven't posted any screenshots here....

What's with the above posts????