1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector lip sync issues???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by callipo, Jun 8, 2005.

1. callipo

callipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

I have been reading a number of articles (and this forum ) related to projectors as i would like to take the plunge into big screen entertainment as i have already got the other kit, speakers,amp,sw,DVD.However i have read that some projectors or configuration of the projector itself causes lip sync issues from the source material that is fed through it.

Has anyone experienced this problem before if so what is the cure?

Any info would be great as i can't wait to get a projector.

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    An amplifier, scaler or dedicated box that introduces an audio delay to match the video processing lag.

3. callipo

callipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Binbag
    But is this a common "fault" with projectors in general?does this problem happen all the time if you dont use the equipment that you mention?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It happens but I believe it's just as likely to affect plasma etc.

And it may not be the display device per se, I've seen reports that particular DVD players experience lip sync issues.

To be honest lip sync is one of the lesser discussed foibles vs the other projector "usual suspects" - dust, VB, rainbows etc...PJ :)

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Never seen any lip sync issues that I could attribute to my Benq 6200 projector. Loads attributable to Sky, though :)

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I've never had any issues with my Z3.

7. Omega Prime

Omega Prime
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    callipo: I have a sanyo z2 and I have not had any lip syncing issues with just the projector alone.

As binbag said, other components in the chain cause lip syncing issues, not the projector.

Hope that helps :)

8. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have the infocus 7205 and have no lip synch problems... except when watching the "Incredibles" dvd. No problem when watching the film from the start but when I "select a scene" via the menu there is a noticeable lip synch delay. It could be the dvd player I suppose but I have a denon 3910 so I hope its not.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    I've had 3 different projectors now and no lipsync problems. As has already been said, it's often quite likely to be the source rather than the pj.

Gary.

10. lukemh

lukemh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my official standpoint all video units that use any sort of processing have a delay of usually 3 fields, the more boxes you put the signal from the more delay you will receive, generally plasma is slightly better that TFT, as the TFT has more processing.

Regards

11. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Lip sync mismatch is one of those things that some people cannot abide whilst others never notice. I think the reasons that you hear about it less these days is the delay is available on much lower priced amps and as the technology has advanced there is less noticable video lag than there used to be.

12. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Lipsync delay is also caused by the input type.
    Normally composite PAL is the worst, but Component 480i NTSC is the best.
    Manufacturers of the projectors have the spec, and it's down to the video processor they use. Pixelwroks processors are quite good, the TI own are pretty poor.
    Sometimes a natural delay can be introduced by the surround sound system and the distance you are from the speakers.
    To many variables to check and like the other guys said, it happens with any display equipment.
    The best think to do is try it, if you are unhappy, get an audio delay box.
    Start from about £50.00 - £10,000I think depending on exactley what you want to do.

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i think i had a lypsync problem once before but it was a media file i think the audio was just off. good thing i use my pc as i just told the SW i was using to delay the audio a few ms. apart from that all audio has been spot on from PC, xbox, ps2 and even when i used a dvd player for one film. i think you can pick up a resonably priced amp with audio delay these days

14. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have only experienced this problem with 1 DVD, which is R1 "Pirates of the Caribbean" when I read the reviews of the disc it was not mentioned. :confused:
    It only appears to be for about the first 20/30 minutes both DTS & DOLBY after that I could'nt tell if it continues (to busy enjoying the film). :)

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    I have the R1 of that film too, and never noticed any lip sync problems. Very odd.

Gary.

16. ninc0

ninc0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only had this problem on one disc once. I used the delay adjustment feature on my amp to alter it so it apperared fine!

17. aka007ii

aka007ii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1st DVD I used with my new Optima H31 was Saving Private Ryan and I noticed the video was lagging. I thought it was due to the DVD player (Samsung theater-in-a-box) and S-video cable at work. When I hooked it up to my home system using HDCP to DVI cable, new LG DVD player and Sony amp with optical I had the same sync problem watching Pirates. In some scenes it catches up but sometimes it's a few frames or more off. I thought it's a problem with my amp's processor but wouldn't that cause more delay in the audio not the video? When I get home I'm going to play with the speaker distance settings. The problem is that both the DVD player and the amp have distance settings. But I don't think that's the cause because I also used headphones and found the same sync problem.

18. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Any device that has to do any extra processing will introduce some sort of delay. But by human perception terms it's tiny, measured in a few milliseconds. The general idea is that as the sound is not being processed it will arrive at your speakers a few milliseconds ahead of the video which is being processed. And any display device that has a different resolution to that of the video being fed it has to do some processing to match the resolutions. This is true for any LCD, Plasma, or DLP display you care to mention that has a higher (or occasionally lower) res than the DVD or TV STB feeding it.

The best way to overcome this is to have an A/V amp that has a global delay setting, such as the Yamahas. Most of the very expensive amps also have a delay setting, but the Yamahas seem to be the only ones in the £300 and up bracket (doubtless someone will pop up now with a mention of their no-name Chinese amp that does if for £30).

The next best bet is to hope that your DVD player has an audio delay setting. My Panasonic S97 does, and I wouldn't be surprised if any scaling DVD player has one somewhere. A expensive TV may also have a delay setting, though I've never encountered one myself.

The final solution is an external box that does nothing but delay, such as the Felston DD540 Dual Digital Audio Delay box, but this is £140 on its own and only does digital audio, not analogue. So, compared to a cheap Yamaha amp, is not particularly good value for money, in my opinion.

Regards

Mark

19. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this issue on a number of sources on my Infocus SP4805. I suspect it's down to having to run the video and sound round to different part of the room (i.e. signals travelling some distance), as well as processing being done by the projector.

Fortunately even my current VERY cheap DVD player (temp setup while home from uni) has a sound delay option to allow me to take account of this to some extent.

I need to experiment and perfect my setup when I get back to my main setup in September but I think it can be problem, and something noticable if you're new to digital displays (never seen anything of the like before i got my first projector in january). Also, different people seem to be less susceptable to it. I notice almost instantly and find it most distracting, while the majority of my friends don't see it at all.

20. aka007ii

aka007ii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me the lip sync issue was due to DRM processing which is some sort of compressor/limitor that keeps dynamic levels more even for when you want to listen at low volume levels and maintain good low frequencies. I turned this feature off on my LG DVD player and so far so good. My suggestion is to use as little processing as possible. That feature on the LG player would loose sync every once in a while. I found may other owners of the same player with the same problem regardless of display type.