Projector Lift And Hidden Screen

Are there many 15 year olds taking on projects like this?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ross Marlow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

First of all I would just like to say: I'm only 15 but I am quite advanced in my knowledge of programming and wiring for my age. I appreciate any responses and help people will give me.

So... I have decided to make a projector lift which comes out of the ceiling using a linear actuator which pushes and pulls on a chain which moves the "cradle" up and down; This was inspired by A-F's project: (DIYish Projector Lift). Also the 120" screen will be placed above ceiling level so it descends through a gap in the plasterboard.

I know how to build all these things as I have been brought up around tools and in a work environment, I had my first cordless drill when I was 7.

I plan to wire the projector lift into a rocker switch which reverses the polarity therefore making the cradle ascend or descend depending on which side of the rocker switch is pressed.

I intend on making these next week as it's the beginning of the summer holidays and the roof is being built on the games room as I speak so I can incorporate it into the building while the ceiling is being erected making it easier.

When I have finished I will comment some pictures and add a video.

- Ross

Last edited:
Sounds like a wicked project, good luck!

I'm with Mad Monk; I hope it all works out. Kudos to you for starting such a project.

Just a quick update to say I've now 3D printed my two brackets using ABS and have laser-cut a wall mount for my rocker switch which I have wired to reverse the polarity. See the below image.

IMG_0838.JPG

I'm fascinated to see how this turns out and well done for undertaking it.

Kids today with their s****y 3D printers...In my day we'd have used a bit of 4x2...... :D

I love this project, this has rekindled my enthusiasm for front projection muckaboutary. It reminds me of the time when I built an IR slide for my scope lens using Lego Technics, this is way cooler though!

Kids today with their s****y 3D printers...In my day we'd have used a bit of 4x2...... :D

I could have used 4x2 and a band saw but I thought the 3D printer would be more reliable to get precision.

The projector lift is now fitted in the ceiling and I have fitted the screen and boxed it in above ceiling level and now me and my dad are fitting the 8x4' plasterboards to the trusses and insulating it. The tricky part was cutting the shape of the lift out as it left a 15mm strip of plasterboard along one side due to the placement of the lift in the room but it is now up and just needs a little adjusting to make the hole a little bigger.

Once the ceiling is complete and the lift is working again I will post a link to a video of it.

One last update until my final post... The ceiling and stud wall is complete! I have made a custom shelving unit for the Speaker Control, PlayStation, Gaming PC, Sub-woofer and DVDs/BluRay Films/Games... I have filled the tapered plasterboards on the stud wall and my dad is filling the ceiling joins and screw holes tomorrow all day... If all goes to play Sunday 4th me and my 9 year old brother will get the whole room painted and then the carpet fitters will hopefully get the contractor carpet in the following week! Also I have swapped my rocker switch for a 2 way latching switch as due to the actuator being slow it is annoying to stand there holding it to move it so I can now just flick it to up or down and walk away.

I hope to post a picture/video of the lift/screen Sunday evening once the painting is complete but this will depend on my brother, as he is only 9 he gets bored quickly and it is a large area to paint!

Sorry for not updating! I have been working Thursday, Friday, Sunday and today (Monday) hence I have not finished the painting... Due to the filler soaking up the paint like a sponge I have got through the 5L of paint (watered down 20% extra) just for the base coat :/

My dad and his friend moved the doors from the back of our house to the games room today and boarded the back of the house up so things are progressing slowly...

Unfortunately the carpet fitter never arrived to measure the room today so we will have to pay them a visit sometime in the week to organise the contractor carpet...

I will get a video uploaded once these tasks are complete which may be a week or two now :( Sorry for the false hope ;)

Final update before images!! I finished the room after a 7:00am start this morning... Carpet done, lift fitted, tech installed! Pretty much done! Just a few bits to move down from the house... I will add some images and a video soon!

Thanks for all the support :D

Congratulations after your hard work; I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the finished photos.

What a great result. You might get a few requests to make more of those; it looks very professional.

That's brilliant. Well done. Very professional result.

Lovely finish on the job, you are exceptionally skilled.
A professional HT installer would be proud of that. Well done!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom