Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

projector lcd cleaning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jason5d, May 5, 2005.

1. jason5d

jason5d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I supply video displays to night cubs and festivals
    I'm looking for tips on cleaning off nightclub fog gunk from the lcd panels in our projectors sanyo xp55 and some hitachi 3500 lumen machines.

I have training in electronic engineering so i'm quite happy taking projectors apart and i have the service manuals of my machines. I've also retro fitted one of our hitachis with newer motherboard which added some nu functions eg 4 way keystone.
    The manuals mention nothing about cleaning lcd's and just say to send them to the manufacturer.
    What i've picked up so far is remove the lcd's then use alcohol to clean them then put them back in and align in a huge room.
    i've not had the bottle to start doing this on my own machines without more info.
    Servicing and cleaning 10 projectors twice a year is getting expensive if i could do it myself I'd clean the lcd's after every event.

any help be most useful

2. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would not recommend Iso Alcohol, I use optical lens cleaning fluid and micro weave cleaning cloth, both availible from optometrist supplier, however, you must aware of the alignment procedure, although, it is possible to remove panels, you may need special extension leads, etc to do the realignment of the panels, if you have SM then read up first on procedure.

Avoid any fluids on dicrohic mirrows/reflectors as these will become damaged, gentle cleaning with micro cloth will remove most build ups(these are not coloured glass,they have external coatings), general lens (glass or plastic) ok to clean, be carefull with mirrows, as these are surface coated (not back coated).

Be aware of static issues to unmounted panels, avoid contact to termination fpc or undue stress when removing, do not allow finger contact to any optical surface (body acid will eventually damage surface).

Have a good/clean supply of compressed air or nitrogen, to first blow out the optical engine before and after cleaning.

Important Note : Green LCD panel is usually the reference panel for focus tracking, so suggest, zoom to max size, set up focus ring and dont move it,
    you will need this to correctly refit/setup green LCD PANEL.

Also have a PC signal source capable of outputting the following signals :
    >Green,Red and Blue only crosshatch (for focus position)
    >Yellow crosshatch(to align Red to Green)
    >Magenta crosshatch(to then align Blue to Red, easier than Cyan B to G)

This is a guide only, all depends on PJ, other steps involved in fine adjustment,
    hope it helps :)

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A great guide but remember, as the panels are only 0.5 to 0.8 inches across, being "out" by 1/1000th of an inch will mean misalignment by several pixels.

I wouldn't recommend removing panels :lesson:

:smoke:

4. welshy32

welshy32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Iv learnt this the hard way.. the dust on my LCD panels were so stubborn, I had no choice but to wipe them down. Clear image, but I cant get the LCD panels to line up!
    I get a shadow effect now, green stripe on the left and blue on the right. No matter how much I try, I cant get it close!
    Anyone have any ideas on how I can realign these panels?

Thanks in advance