• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Projector Lamps – how long between replacements to maintain optimal performance?

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
I'm replacing the lamp on my Sony VPL-VW260ES today for the first time. This is after 2,500 hours in 'high' lamp mode. Though the lamp is rated to last 6,000 hours, unless it's entirely my imagination the picture is starting to look a bit dim, and there is some yellowing in the whites.

It's a bit rule of thumb really. I was never going to wait till the projector tells me to replace it because by that point I would have lost so much performance I would have been making do with sub-par images.

I have a lux metre and will post some before and after numbers here once I've taken the measurements tonight. Hopefully, creating this thread and sharing stories can help others determine whether they should replace their lamp or not, even when the old one still, technically, works fine.

So, to other projector users. What make/model do you own? What interval, in hours, do you allow to pass between replacements? What sort of performance gain do you see? Does anyone leave their lamp in till the projector actually tells them to replace it?

This is my first experience of this, so would like to hear from some more experienced people and how they go about it, and in doing that, hopefully create a thread that will inform others.

unreel

Established Member
I've always changed the bulbs at around 1500 hours or so as they start to look dim. I've only ever had Optoma Projectors which normally quote around 3000 -4000 hours lamplife.

found this quote online

"Most manufacturers rate their lamp life, not to failure, but to the point where the lamp is half as bright as it was when new"

So if your Sony is rated for 6000 hours by 3000 hours or so it may be at half brightness which would tie in with it looking dim. Looking at the Sony site the projector says 6000 hours on low lamp mode, so it may be a much lower number for high lamp mode.

VPL-VW260ES 4K SXRD Home Cinema Projector - Sony Pro

Certainly every time I change my bulb it feels like I got a new projector

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
I've always changed the bulbs at around 1500 hours or so as they start to look dim. I've only ever had Optoma Projectors which normally quote around 3000 -4000 hours lamplife.

found this quote online

"Most manufacturers rate their lamp life, not to failure, but to the point where the lamp is half as bright as it was when new"

So if your Sony is rated for 6000 hours by 3000 hours or so it may be at half brightness which would tie in with it looking dim. Looking at the Sony site the projector says 6000 hours on low lamp mode, so it may be a much lower number for high lamp mode.

VPL-VW260ES 4K SXRD Home Cinema Projector - Sony Pro

Certainly every time I change my bulb it feels like I got a new projector

Good info. Thanks. It's been harder to notice the dimming than it may be in other environments as over the course of this (first) lamp's life I've gradually converted the room to a Batcave. So the lamp has dimmed while contrast potential has steadily increased as I've eliminated light surfaces. Will be very interesting to see how much difference it makes this evening. From what you've said, I'm beginning to suspect it'll be a lot.

Last edited:

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
Okay, so here it is:
Old lamp usage: 2,550 hours on ‘high’
Old lamp state: Started to notice picture losing depth/vibrancy, white screens had begun to yellow and discolour in some areas
Old lamp lux reading: 131.2
New lamp state: Much brighter, no discolouration
New lamp lux reading: 192.0
Percentage brightness improvement: 46.32%
Percentage total brightness on old lamp: 68.33%

I have to say, not bad on the lamp life there. Will be measuring lux every 100 hours to graph this on out and probably replace this one sooner. Will post back here with results.

Last edited:

luvfilm

Established Member
Be interested to hear views of any epson owners

I am on 928 hours of my first ever projector and lamp(7300)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom