Projector lamp - To replace or not to replace?

Mallardo

Hi all
I have a 13 year old Sanyo PLV-Z2000. I bought it second hand about 4 years ago and have been really happy with it. It is working fine however the lamp now has has about 1800 hours on it and I am wondering whether it would be worthwhile replacing it. The projector hasn't indicated that it needs changing yet, but I think it may do so quite soon as I think it is rated for 2000 hours.

I have read that bulbs dim over time but this can be quite hard to tell from a user perspective as it is very gradual. I have been using the A2 lamp mode instead of ECO for a while now as I have noticed the image in ECO seemed to be getting a bit dull . I don't want to switch to full power as the fan noise gets on my nerves, it is pretty much silent in the other modes. Currently the image is pretty good on A2 in a dark room.

Does anyone know if replacing the lamp would be worth it? Would the difference in picture quality would be noticeable and worth the outlay of £100?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
How many hours does the projector have on it?

Replacing the Lamp can make a big difference if the lamp being replaced has dimmed a lot but you also have to factor in things like colour filters, if they are not part of the lamp assembly, as those fade too.

Joe

Mallardo

Thanks for the response.

The guy I bought it off said that he had it from new so I assume the overall protector use is the same as the lamp hours. Just double checked the lamp hours and actually just over 2000 now.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are happy with the overall performance and the Projector is on its first Lamp then a New Lamp is def worth the outlay - and also protects you from any damage a 'blown' lamp can cause!

I would stick with an OEM Lamp - others may suggest otherwise!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom