projector lamp question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cruixer, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Cruixer

Cruixer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I own a sanyo plv-z700 for a few years now and still quite happy with it but the lamp is well past the maximum hours. I read somewhere that metal hallide lamps only reduce in brightness and the brightness isn't a problem, but I can't confirm whether this projector has this type of lamp.

Basically I don't want to shell out a couple of hundred quid if the only thing it will improve is brightness as I always use it in an almost completely dark room. On the other hand if it will improve the colours or picture quality significantly then I wouldn't mind paying the money to get a few more years out of the projector.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. dav-t

dav-t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +603
    all high pressure lamps deteriorate over time with regards to brightness,myself having changed numerous lamps in my sim2's over the years.If yours is past its so called lamp life hours I would change it for a new one soon,mainly because it's amazing how you become accustomed to the decrease in brightness over time of the old lamp,a new one will astonish you(at least it always has done with me).Also it's a pain changing it when you have got to because it's blown.manufacturers tend to recommend renewal at their specified lamp hours because of the very small chance of one blowing and causing internal damage,but hey the decision is yours
    hope this helps
    regards
    d

3. Cruixer

Cruixer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dav-t, sorry for the delay in my own response I wasn't getting the notifications (problem at my end not with AV forums).

What you are describing is exactly what I was worried about - that I have become used to a deterioration in quality over time. The thing is that if its 'just' brightness in the way that I am thinking of this then it doesn't seem to be a problem as picture is watchable even with a light on in the room. The lamps are so expensive that it seems like an expensive way to find out!

Do you always buy original lamps? I can see lamps for my model at around £60 but the original lamp seems to be 2-3 times that at most suppliers - not sure that my projector is even worth that much at this stage!