• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Projector Lamp Issues

Rincewindwiz

Standard Member
Hi All

I have bought a second hand NEC M230X (rated 2300 lumens).
It seemed pretty dim compared with my old Sanyo ProXtra (rated 1100 lumens) so I did some testing
I got a Lux meter and measured the lux at the screen (same screen size, same picture - blank WP page)

The measurement for the NEC was around 90 lux; for the Sanyo ProXtra around 390 lux which does not sound right given the rated lumens of each projector

The lamp hours have been set to zero and the seller assures me it is a new lamp but I dont see how it can be given the lack of light output

So has the lamp (NP15LP) not been changed (in which case is there anyway I can tell the age of the lamp (NP15LP). It has a (serial?) number on it which looks like 95305081; or
Is the NEC really so poor in comparison with the Sanyo

Thanks for any information

jacobe

Most likely you've been hustled. A new lamp would probably cost more than the projector sold for, so what incentive did the seller have for replacing it pre-sale? None.

Rincewindwiz

Standard Member
I agree entirely.
But is there a more definitive way of demonstrating that the lamp is either old or a fake other than by the low quality light output

jacobe

I wouldn't know, sorry.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
It could be a rubbish aftermarket lamp where the actual light source is not in the right place. Projector lamps need to be millimetre critical.

Just a few millimetres either way, and the light output rapidly declines.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom