1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector issues

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Frankeh, May 27, 2005.

1. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still don't know yet if I would go with a Projector... my room isn't big: 4x3 m = 10x13 feet

A dark room isn't a problem for me, I always game in a full dark room.

If I would go with a projector, the max. distance I can sit away from the screen would be 10 feet.

The projector will be used for 95% gaming purpose, the other 5% will be for watching movies.

A full field of vision (= big screens) can't be good for gaming (I THINK) because you don't know where to look at + less concentration because of the big screen.

Maybe just buy a smaller screen? (can you give me measures for a good gaming screen if you're 10feet away of it) I could shrink the image down... is the image quality fine than?

Last issue: I'm not buying a projector because I want a friggin big screen, I would buy it because it's not that expensive + easily HDTV ready in Europe so another question is: when I'm not buying a projector for the size, should I better go with a LCD?

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I have a Z2, i sit 10 feet away from the screen which is 6 foot wide and for me this is perfect. I did have a 7 foot wide screen but was constantly looking left and right as i could not get the entire image into my field of vision.

I love playing the xbox on the big screen it is amazing and i could not now go back to playing it on a TV, infact for me it makes me concentrate more as i am just focussed on the image.

For gaming i would have said go with lcd at the same price point as dlp just because of the higher resolution and the consoles due soon all seem to be supporting hidef at 720/1080, but with the arrival of the Benq PE7700 this confuses the issue somewhat.

3. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Bear in mind that the benefits of a projector are not *just* size - I find the actual picture quality from my Z3 far better than my old Tosh 36ZP38 PF2 CRT - no green streaks in darker scenes, and also the benefit of having equipment that will handle increased resolutions better than most (if not all) televisions.

I also notice far less artifacting on DVD's, and of course geometry will be excellent...

4. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the BenQ 7700 really that good? It's a bit over my budget.. + I have to buy a screen too

(I can project it onto my wall, but it has a warm orange colour)

@ bold: I don't get it.. you're saying you would advice me to buy a LCD because of the higher resolution AND the fact next-gen consoles will support HDTV.. ermh that counts for Projectors too huh? they also support 720p / 1080i you're confusing me. :p

5. Boozley69

Boozley69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an EPSON EMP-TW10H LCD projector. I sit a couple of meters away from the screen and the projector is temporarily sitting on the table infront of me. It projects onto a magenta (red) wall and the image is flawless! It is 80 inches diagonal and can go bigger/smaller. I play xbox live on it and have never been better. DVD picture is amazing. I am simply amazed by this projector and got it for a mere £555 From EBuyer.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62929
    Its top quality for a very cheap price. Would highly recomend.
    Thanks
    Boozley

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Whatever you get. Make sure it's got hdcp to make it future proof.

7. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353

he means look at a lcd projector like sanyo z2 or z3, and not at a dlp projector :)

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Yes all pj's can support 720/1080 but they dont all have high res panels, hence why i was saying that for gaming imo i would go lcd as at the same price point as dlp. With LCD you will get a 1280x720 panel as opposed to DLP where for the same price point you will get a 854x480 resolution panel.
    The DLP will no doubt have a higher contrast ratio though.

9. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, I thought you meant "LCD" as in "LCD TV's" not "LCD Projector" I did some google work and now I learned the different kind of projectors: LCD, DLP, LCOS, ...

I don't see why LCD PJ > DLP PJ for gaming? I read some articles, they said DLP has all the advantages of the LCD + better black + better colours + less pixel structure

the fact colours & black are important.. I don't see why LCD projectors would be better? because the fact LCD have higher resolutions? But when I play a game with 720p HD for example... doesn't the projector automatically go to that resolution?

10. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Games + DLP Rainbows = bad!

Of course if you don't see them then great, though I'd recommend a demo first.

11. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It won't go to that resolution if your projector doesn't support it. True 720p DLP projectors, until recently, were more expensive then their LCD counterparts so it was trade off. DLP may have better blacks but lower res and rainbow effect; LCD can suffer from chicken mesh. Next Gen consoles will support 720p+ out of the box and I'm sure having a projector that supports this res natively will be beneficial. No doubt these console will be backwards compatible with SDTV though.

12. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most DLP projectors with a price range of 1350£ support 720p/1080i don't they.. ?

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Yes they do, but if you are outputting a 720 image the pj will have to downscale this image to fit the native resolution of the panel.

14. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so for gaming on 720p it's better to buy an LCD because of the higher resolution it has?

15. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    To boil it down, you currently get more resolution for your money with LCD PJs, though the gap seems to be narrowing.

If 720p applications are important then, unless you want to shell out more on a WXGA DLP, an LCD PJ may be a good option for you.

It's not worth debating the picture quality differences, we could be here all day. Suffice to say you'd be impressed by any modern PJ, DLP or LCD...PJ :)

17. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wxga Dlp?

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I you've

"read some articles, they said DLP has all the advantages of the LCD + better black + better colours + less pixel structure"

then I'm sure you can find something on WXGA...PJ :)