Projector Interference - at my wits end... Please help

JustinT350

Morning all, I'm really hoping someone can help with my very minor issue, but it is ruining my experience of my projector/screen/cinema.

Very long story short, we moved into a new build 3 years ago, and used the lounge as a bit of a cinema to chill out and watch films. Everything in the house is routed to the hallway cupboard, all AV, aerials, Cat 5/6, Sky box. This is where I have my amp, PS4, Skybox. The hallway cupboard is next to the lounge, and the AV Amp is connected to my projector with HDMI cable out , HDBaseT convertor - Cat 6 - HDBaseT - HDMI cable in.

This is the HDBaseT - Amazon product

Also in the hallway cupboard is my central heating and hot water honeywell switches (see pic) and my main fuse box. My house thermostat is in a different point in the house and the boiler is in the garage. I think these are what are somehow causing the interference.

My problem I'm having is loss of picture (handshake!?) on my projector, whether the PS4 or Sky is on it still happens. It happens regularly around 2030hrs at night, and seems to happen more often in winter so I'm convinced it is related to the boiler firing or heating switches activating. As a test last night, I turned the heating and hot water off and the picture was brilliant. No loss at all. When I say loss, it mometarily loses its signal, 5 seconds, then comes back again. Minor problem but massively frustrating.

My thoughts are it is either the boiler firing and the voltage in the house dropping (?) causing a dip somehow... Or something in that hallway cupboard is causing some sort of interference when the heating or hot water is on.. Any ideas? I'm going through upgrading all the HMDI cables today, but not convinced that will solve my issue.
IMG_20201119_101409.jpg
House-Type-B-Ground-Floor-Plan.jpg

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which CAT cable have you used and is the cable run anywhere close to the heating system?

Joe

JustinT350

Hi Joe,

Its Cat 5e and Cat 6 doubled up to every room in the house, and they all run down into the cupboard. I have the HDBaseT connected using the Cat 6?

And looking at the photo above, all of the Cat5/6 come into the room on the right hand side of that double socket. A big fist size of cables, but not really that close to the heating parts I wouldn't think.

Would the power from anything else in the AV rack interfere? Its just odd that it flickers the projector when the heating is firing.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A 'dirty' heating switch can cause interference on the CAT cable which can kill the signal and or enter the HDBT TX/RX - some HDBT kit is more prone to issues than others.

Can you run a temp CAT6 (solid core, non CCS/CCA) cable between the TX/RX and take a different pathway with it?

Joe

JustinT350

I can indeed. That's maybe not a bad idea and at least it might help diagnose. It isn't very easy to run in the wall though

With the hdbt transmitters, is there anyway to shield them?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
With the HDBT kit I have found the RJ45 sockets and circuitry which sit behind it are what makes the difference - we have swapped out one design for another in the past to resolve similar issues.

Joe

JustinT350

Sorry, here is another daft question. Should it make any difference what order I turn my Amp, SkyQ and Projector on?

I have tried turning on the Sky and Amp, waiting 5 minutes then turning on the projector and *touch wood*, no projector blinking so far..

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
In theory ‘No’ in practice ‘it can’.

The HDMI handshake is initiated by the Sink (display) so having the Source and Repeater (AVR) on and stable before you take the Projector out of standby can work well for some kit combinations.

Joe

JustinT350

Joe, much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll keep an eye on it by operating it this way and see what happens :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom