1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector in my Cream living room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RumbleBee, Jan 7, 2005.

1. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Just a quick question.
    Thinking of getting a projector. I've got another thread for the type, but this question relates to the room itself.

I don't and won't ever have a dedicated home cinema room, so my living room will be used. The room is decorated with cream patterned wallpaper. I've also got creamy blinds and yellow curtains, with light coloured flooring.
    I'd only use the projector for watching DVD's at night time and if I stand in my living room now it appears to be pitch black.

Will the above be okay?

The Mrs will not allow me to redecorate unfortunetly, so the projector and screen will have to meat the above.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have a cream room. I have built a frame around the screen which is painted black. I would like a darker colour for the room but cant be bothered to paint. lol
    I guess percieved contrast is lowered but it is fine.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Can be done. Look for a reasonably high contrast ratio and good ansi lumens 800 up really ??

Ensure that you project onto a screen or a plain wall if you cannot accom a screen. Textured wall paper is a no no :lesson:

Refer to the screen forum here to see how some folk make their screen from elastic bands, a golf ball, a paper clip and so on :p Some great results to be found.

Hope this helps

Cap ;)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Will be fine, just make / buy a decent screen and you're sorted!

...PJ :thumbsup:

PS oh, buy a projector too! ;)

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    My room has Magnolia walls (yawn) but the PJ picture still looks awesome(Themescene H30).

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hey, Magnolia is the new Rock 'n' Roll.

Dont knock it!

Cap :)

7. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rumble. Been using my projector "800 Lumens" in a cream room for 4 years now and as long as you can shut out the light from the windows you should be fine. You will have problems in the summer evenings if your curtains are not lined but I got around this by putting up a blind behind them.

Get your projector and enjoy! :smashin:

PTG

8. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sometimes watch my mt200 with lights on --- shocking ain't it!!!! Ambient light isn't that much of a problem if you watch the film instead of the pixels!!!!!!

When I went to demo my first pj, I was shocked at how watchable it was in daylight --- I refer to things like sky news and not dvd's - I do turn the lites off then:)

9. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are there any particular Projectors I should go for specifically for a living room, as apposed to one for a home cinema room. Budget is about £1200 and I'll put some more cash aside for a nice pull down screen (electric hopefully) and about 80" +. Viewing and projector from about 9 feet.

10. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same problem, wife agreed to home cinema if I redecorated but won't let me paint the living room black. Still get a great image but you will be surprised at how much light is reflected from the screen. I've painted a Dulux Matt white screen by way of a trial before using the expensive stuff (Screen Goo from NEXNIX). I now understand why I was advise to paint a gray screen. This gives deeper blacks and reflects less light back into the room. In my view a black border is essential.

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,193
    Not really but you'll need a short throw lens from that distance so Panasonic spring to mind and sitting 9ft away screendoor maybe an issue, though I sit about 11ft back from an 84" screen viewing a Panny300 and I have no issues with SD whatsoever :)

12. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention that the Sreenplay 4805 (£1300 Inc Screen) seems to get good reviews.
    This is a DLP. You need to demo and try and compare with LCD to ensure you don't have issues with the different technologies.
    Best LCD I looked at was the Panasonic AE700 (But £1600)

13. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
  14. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get AE700 for under £1300. I got mine from Discount Electrical inc Beamax screen for £1350 (see Banner Ad's on this forum)

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Gliderider has pointed out the main negative element of light coloured walls - light reflections back onto the screen. This will result in a reduction of what is called ANSI contrast - when you have both light and dark elements on the screen at the same time, the light from the bright parts of the image reflects from the scren, to the walls/ceiling etc and back onto the screen, washing out the black parts of the image in the process. The screen will only ever be as dark as the light in the room allows it to be.

If you can't darken the room down, a grey screen or a screen with gain (or both) will help. The grey screen will look darker for the black parts compared to a white screen, so increasing apparent contrast, and a screen with gain means that any light hitting the screen will reflect back towards the viewer more than to the sides, so less light reflects back from the walls onto the screen.

It does make a measurable difference, but in some cases, the difference you actualy notice will vary depending on the actual room, and how much it bothers you.

Gary.

16. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate them in my quest to purchasing a projector. I now have a few more questions I'll add to this thread.

1) Regarding HCPC. I've got a bare bones PC gatherig dust in it's box. Never got round to selling on ebay. It's got a built in Sound card and I can easlily get a CPU/memory and a GPU. I've read that the picture can be better via this meathod with FFDshow tweaking, but what cable do I buy. a 10 metre VGA lead, or a DVI lead.

2) I presume the Panny 700 and the HS50 will accept this connection

17. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just gone for the toshiba mt200 and can highly reccommend it:) Just got composit input at the moment and it is picture purrrrfect on the DVD and some sky digibox chanels --- some blocking on sky though --- so I can't wait to see it through componant cables.

throw of 3.6m
    pictue of approx. 2m wide -- got a 2.4 screen

Dave:)