Question Projector in Japan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by moidave, Apr 12, 2016.

1. moidave

moidave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am located in Japan, which is pertinent since the cost of life, and AV equipment is higher than Europe or the USA.

I am looking for a projector to watch Netflix, hulu, and some other HD content occasionally (3-4 times a week). In summer, I am hoping to set an improvised backyard cinema using white sheets in the yard.

At home, I guess I would mostly use it to watch movies while in bed, in a dark setting, projecting on the ceiling (2,4m high which is about 8 feet)

3D would be nice, but how easy to find 3D material without a BR player?

Max budget is 700$ for a full HD with 3D, less for a portable projector of lesser quality.

I am looking for near, or full HD and quite silent. So far, the Sony MP-CL 1 caught my attention, but the funny thing is that even though I live in Japan, I would have to import it and pay a small premium for it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

David

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. Fingerz

Fingerz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony home theater projectors are much cheaper in Japan than in the US. You may be able to get the VPL-HW40ES (or equivalent) for close to the budget you've mentioned and it has all the features you want. In some cases the price is half...at least comparing prices I saw at Yodobashi Akiba last week.

3. moidave

moidave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply but looking at current prices online, the sony projectors are very expensive. The closest to the HW40, the HW35 is at roughly 2000 US$. It may be that some stores in Tokyo have some time-limited discounts. Next time I go down there, I may have a look.