Projector in a bright room.

frazk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working in a bike shop and they're wanting a projector in the spin room. It's an industrial building with roof lights that they have no intention of blocking out. I'll attach a photo to help make it a little clearer!
What I'd like to know is how many lumens PJ I would need to get a decent sort of image. I've seen the optoma HD26 has 3200 lumens, will that be enough? They're only planning on showing euro sport on it so it's not going to be anything fancy!
Thanks!

Just run down the route of a high powered data projector. Although the HD26 will be fine, in a bright shop I would recommend looking at one a little higher and around the 4500 to 5000 lumens mark would be better.

If you are using a blu-ray player, just make sure that you purchase a projector with 1080p version with HDMI inputs.

One thing to be aware of, don't expect great black detail and if the lights you are using are LED then the washed out effect will be worse. Also if direct sunlight is pointing in the same direction as the beamed image, this will also have a negative effect. One thing to look at is where the screen, you could go for a high contrast or a reflective to draw some of the detail back. But always remember that light will be the projectors enemy and usually for very bright rooms, 3 Chip DLP Projectors are the only real projects which can output in very bright conditions and these cost a small fortune.

Regards, Shane,

Thank you Shane given me something to think about!
I think I'll try and convince them to black out the first two sky lights and go for a high contrast screen.
We're in Clitheroe, so not a million miles from you! Do you stock any PJs around the £500 mark like the HD26?

Sadly not. I know you're only over the hill and I would love to help you with the HD26.

We don't have anything at this level to offer you. As mentioned you'll be better looking at a Data projector due to the lumens.

Regards, Shane.

Grey screens, or grey screens with some gain will always give a better image than a white screen under those conditions.

A high gain glass beaded white screen can also work well, but the image will still have poorer blacks and the image will only look at it's best if viewed from a similar line of sight as the pj.

A glass beaded grey screen would work really well, but the glass beads tend to show up and give the screen a visible 'structure' and can be distracting for critical viewing, but maybe not so much for just general viewing where image quality isn't the main objective - in a room like yours that isn't going to be the case anyway. Optoma used to make glass beaded grey screens (Greywolf?) and could be found cheaply in the classifieds or maybe on ebay.

Ideally you'd need to demo these screens to see if they give you the image you want under the conditions you have before you buy.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom