Projector hush box... where do I start?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering for a PJ hush box, where do I start?

My Epson is decent enough and quiet enough on medium lamp. As in very quiet... but I do like for HDR films high lamp mode but its pretty loud. Not as loud as the 9400 was but still too loud for anything but Mad Max šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚

any solutions or hush box designs or anything I can buy or build which is proven to decrease the sound?

The troubles with hush-boxes are that they need to be bigger than the projector, they introduce another set of cooling fans and ducts, and if the enclosure must be sealed from the room it also needs an optically coated glass in front of the lens for the projected picture.

Have seen that draper made some boxes some years ago.

Oh crap so I canā€™t just put it in an enclosure and put some isolation foam on it ?

Oh crap so I canā€™t just put it in an enclosure and put some isolation foam on it ?

Well yeah, you can, but itā€™s not an official hush box.

Just leave some ventilation out of the back of it and youā€™ll be ok.

It wonā€™t be as effective as a proper hush box, but it will be better than hanging it from the ceiling.

LCD projector needs a lot of good cooling so the directly air-cooled panels and polarization filters do not overheat and get damaged.
1608739527897.png

It will be a bad idea to put the projector into a box (even with one side open) risking that the heated air from the air exhaust vent is only to circulate back to the Air intake vent so the heated air is sucked into the projector again.

The designed environment temperature for the TW9400 is:

1608739941214.png

So if you just put the projector in an enclosure and put some isolation foam on it, you need to find a way to keep the air surroundings for the projector and the intake air temperature between the +5 to +35Ā°C (30Ā°C) range.

LCD projector needs a lot of good cooling so the directly air-cooled panels and polarization filters do not overheat and get damaged.
View attachment 1427793

It will be a bad idea to put the projector into a box (even with one side open) risking that the heated air from the air exhaust vent is only to circulate back to the Air intake vent so the heated air is sucked into the projector again.

The designed environment temperature for the TW9400 is:

View attachment 1427796

So if you just put the projector in an enclosure and put some isolation foam on it, you need to find a way to keep the air surroundings for the projector and the intake air temperature between the +5 to +35Ā°C (30Ā°C) range.

Iā€™ve never had a problem in around 8 years of ownership, Pioneer, JVC, Epson and now Sony.

All relatively enclosed but with space for the hot air to escape.

In the "good old" CRT projector days, it was quite common to do fan mods on these big and often loud projectors. It was hard to read out the amount of airflow vs static pressure from the different fan spec. etc, when used inside of a projector. The solution was often to install some temp probes and measure how much the temperature changed with the more silent fans vs the original ones. I guess that is a good way to find out what a hush box does to the projector running inside it too. Take some temperature readings at the air intake vent and adjust the box and see if it needs additional airflows.

Thanks. I donā€™t need it to be utterly silent altho that would be amazing. Just a decent improvement. Hmmmm

How ā€œloudā€ are the 4k JVCā€™s in high lamp mode?

I have a JVC x7900 and with it installed right above my head the high lamp mode would make it completely unusable without a hush box. When I demo'd it the room was very long and thin and the projector was way at the back of the room with seats in the middle and the high lamp noise wasn't a problem at all. So it really depends on how close you sit to it. I use it only in low lamp mode and it's very quiet, so no problem.

I ran my NEC CRT projector in a big hush box and actually found removing the complete plastic casing made it quieter and cooler inside the hush box. I used 2 bathroom extractor fans in the ceiling inside the hush box (vented into the floor space) and used a big variable mains transformer (variac) to adjust the fan speed (noise) to just low enough to provide adequate cooling. Tested with a temp sensor attached to the projector metal chassis near the main voltage regulator heat sinks, with the fans set so that the temp inside the hush box was never any higher than it was originally without the hush box. Inside of the hush box was lined with that acoustic "egg box" foam, hot glued in place.

CRT.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom