1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by noyce, Aug 11, 2003.

1. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first visit to this forum so i would like to say a big hello before i start asking for help.
    I'm pretty much a newbie to the home cinema scene and am after a bit of advice.At this moment in time i am having a seperate standalone room built at the end of the garden to use as a home cinema. I think i am going to go the crt projector route and am considering having ellie do my installation. Has anyone on these forums heard of them or have any comments as i would like to hear some opinions before making my decision.
    Also, would you agree that i should go the crt projector route or are there any lcd/dlp projectors that would give me as good a result without having to have such a huge projector.

Any help very much appreciated

Ellies website http://www.ellie.co.uk
    My current setup http://mysite.freeserve.com/noyce

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Noyce: You can do a search on the CRT forum for Ellie. Many members have them. Jim is also a member here. It's a great value product. There are, of course, alternatives.

I am a CRT fan. I am also a DLP distributor....you should see all technolgies before making a decision. It's a lot closer now than it ever was. I think at your budget though it'll be hard to beat a good CRT.

Gordon

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Noyce.. welcome =)
    I recently acquired a Barco 801s from Roland @ B4. I think its about 10 years old with 12,000 hours on the clock. I am not a CRT expert, but I have seen plenty of LCD projectors and quite frankly, they are pants. I have never seen DLP so I cant comment. But, if you can live with the size of a CRT projector, and can find a decent used one like the 801s I have (it cost £1000 which is cheaper than LCDs and DLPs), I think you will be rewarded with the best possible picture possible. Its just the fabest thing I have bought in a long time! And if you buy from someone like Roland, you really cant go wrong! I actually did the installation and set up myself (although I did make an error early on which resulted in deleting Roland's expert config - although I have since learned an awful lot about my PJ and setting it up). There are loads of posts on this forum with useful tips and plenty of really helpful people more than willing to help you out.

A friend of mine has an Ellie something or other, and he raves about it!

Like Gordon says, check out each technology and see what you think. Remember, if it looks good to you, it probably is =)

Chris

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Noyce

CRTs are big and can be noisey (compared with modern DLp and LCDs) but can give a fantastic picture in the right environmen and with the right set-up.

If you're a tweaker at heart, get one, it's so much fun! If you can't program a VCR to save your life, you're probably better off witha point & shoot LCD/DLP.

A lot of people start out with a used CRT. That way, you can try it out for a fraction of the cost of a new DLP/LCD. If it doesn't work out, no big loss, you can always sell the unit on and buy the little guy.

if it does work out, keep it for a while and upgrade to a bigger/better one.

Enjoy the journey you're embarking on!

Peter

5. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Noyce,

I had a look at your gallery pics, you have a very nice setup there but I have to say your plasma screen looks wayyy too small! ;)

After a year of umming and ahhing and saving up the dosh I recently bought an Ellie XS-2000, which I'm using with an eight foot screen. On the whole I'm happy with it, and in the right conditions the picture is excellent. I had to go back to using a 32" screen for a while which I found very hard!
    Although the Ellie is pretty small as CRT projectors go, it still takes a while to get used to having one mounted on your living room ceiling, but once the lights are off and a good DVD is playing you forget all that.

My advice to you is shop around, consider all models of LCD, DLP and CRT and demo as much as you can -- don't rush into anything. If you get an Ellie, consider upgrading to glass lenses right from the start if you can afford it. I couldn't and didn't, but wish I had!

Bonce

6. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for all you responses.It's very much appreciated and i'll keep you updated on my quest for great home cinema :hiya: