1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by noyce, Aug 11, 2003.

1. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first visit to this forum so i would like to say a big hello before i start asking for help.
    I'm pretty much a newbie to the home cinema scene and am after a bit of advice.At this moment in time i am having a seperate standalone room built at the end of the garden to use as a home cinema. I think i am going to go the crt projector route and am considering having ellie do my installation. Has anyone on these forums heard of them or have any comments as i would like to hear some opinions before making my decision.
    Also, would you agree that i should go the crt projector route or are there any lcd/dlp projectors that would give me as good a result without having to have such a huge projector.

Any help very much appreciated

Ellies website http://www.ellie.co.uk
    My current setup http://mysite.freeserve.com/noyce

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would personally go down the DLP route, I know CRT's still have a huge fan base and in certain areas I agree but for an easy life, set-up and maintainence it has got to be fixed matrix. Some people will undoubtedly come back and argue the toss on minor technical issues but I would go see some images/demos if you can and decide for yourself.

As it will be a purpose built room, do your layout now and optimise your facility before you find out or come across any errors. I would go rear projection if it is a purpose built, plus if you go CRT then it may need constant re-convergence as temp fluctuates if the room is not properly insulated or air-conditioned.

At the end of the day it is up to you the owner and purchaser and these things are so subjective as what is good and bad in a display. See as much stuff as you can and then you will be far happier when you come to make your decision, cause you will know you have made the best one for your circumstance!

Best of luck mate, hope it all goes well.

3. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You won't get a better picture than a CRT - DLP and LCD just don't come close IMO. So why does anyone buy digital projectors? Main reasons are price, size and setup. Although you can buy second hand CRT projectors for as little as £1000, I'm not sure as to the wisdom of this and brand new ones can cost more than a family car! CRTs, as you've noted are pretty large beasts, whereas digital pjs can be not much bigger than a lunchbox! And then setup - any monkey can setup a digital projector - point it at the screen, fiddle with the zoom, fiddle with the focus, done. CRT projectors need time and someone who knows what they are doing to set up and it can be quite lengthy and if it gets messed up you may not be able to sort it out yourself. However digital projectors suffer from various screen artefacts (screendoor on LCD and rainbows on DLP) and are nowhere near as smooth and easy on the eyes as a good CRT pj. At the very least, if you are tempted by a DLP or LCD projector, demo a few and see if these drawbacks affect you or not (many people can't even see things like the rainbow artefact on DLPs, whereas others say it makes them feel physically sick!).

4. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your opinions.Decisions decisions.
    One more thing, what is screendoor as i keep hearing about it?

5. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sure someone here can give you the technical reasons for screendoor, but my layman understanding of it is as so: On a LCD panel the LCD pixels are relatively far apart. This isn't noticeable if you were to look at the panel itself, but when you blow the image created by the panel up to projector screen sizes, this distance becomes much more apparent. Therefore you get a cross hatched image, as if the image was being shone through chickenwire! Now if this sounds awful, it isn't - it seems to be much more noticeable on light parts of an image and on more expensive and therefore higher resolution pjs it is much less noticeable - many people don't see it at all. A DLP projectors pixels are right bang up next to each other (<1nm), so don't suffer from this - they just have rainbows instead! ;)

6. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, and i love your room!

7. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you are having a fook-off image and are sitting right up close to it, then you will be hard pushed to see it, especially through a DVD signal where the more noticable aliasing effects will come into play.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Guy Kuo of Innovations and Avia fame, managed to achieve crt performance from an NEC HT1000 projector - though he doesn't recommend an image bigger than 60ins wide if you want similar results.

CRT is king, but it's reign is nearing its end by the looks of it..

A friend of mine has an Ellie, and it was et-up by them. He is very happy with the results and support. Initialy they supplied the wrong screen, but changed it once the error was realised.

Seem pretty good as far as I can tell.

Gary.