projector help

Ewoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help please ..

Basically, I need guidance choosing the right projector for a screen I've just purchased from the classifieds.
I currently have a calibrated Panasonic 65VT50 Plasma, but just wanted something bigger to watch sports & movies.

After a lot of research I decided to buy a Grandview Cyber 6ft 77 inch manual 16.9 projection screen.
Matte white, screen gain 1.1 - see screen dimensions below.
Grandview Cyber Manual Projection Screen

I plan to ceiling mount the 6ft projection screen in front of plasma and in between my front speakers.
Grandview screen has a 70cm black border drop.

Purchase of projection screen leaves me with a budget of £1,000 for a 1080p 3D projector, either new or second hand.
Projector will be connected to my Lumagen Radiance Video Processor, calibration to follow.

Bedroom dimensions - 4.5m x 2.4m.
Sitting distance from screen - 3.9m.
Projector lens throw distance from screen - 3.9m max or less.
I have a ceiling fan with light shade (clearance for clear lens path) 40cm down from ceiling.
Ceiling to top of plasma - 70cm.

I plan to ceiling mount projector on a height adjustable pole on back wall opposite the end wardrobe.

Please see my public profile for pics of bedroom and decor..
Click Ewoody above.

Would you recommend a darker wallpaper to TV wall.
Two black out roller blinds going up shortly.

Please advise, which projector would best suit my needs.

thanks
Ewoody

Last edited:
As has been pointed out on other threads you started JVC are great projectors and give off the best blacks but you can only get the best from them in rooms that are near batcave conditions (dark walls ceilings etc).

Also you will struggle to get a 3D JVC for £1k used, the X3 which is 3 generations old now go for £1100-1400 and they are rare to find anyway.

For sports and 3D DLP are probably best but you need to see one in action so that you can check out if rainbows are an issue.Rainbows don't effect everyone but get a demo, it does not have to be a 3D machine even as a 2D will do for demo.

You can get 2-3 different DLP models all under £1k new that do superb 3D, teh blacks won't be as good as JVC but unless your room is like a batcave you won't see much difference in this regard.

Optoma HD33/HD300x or the new HD131x are all about £800, Benq do the W1070 again around £800 all these are great value projectors and offer astounding quality images for a relatively low price.

If you find rainbows an issue consider the Epson LCD range, the TW5910 sells for £900 approx and whilst the 3D is not quite as good as DLP is still very good.They also do a 6100 model that offers slightly better performance but costs £200-300 more.

Regards your screen I think you could have gone bigger as all these projectors will do a 100" diagonal from a 3.9m throw (bear in mind throw is from the front of the projectors lens to the screen face.At your seating distance of 3.9m a 77" diagonal will not have as much impact as a 100". I watch my 100" screen from around 2.5-3m max and it is very impressive,I would therefore consider increasing the size if you can.

I am not trying to put you off JVC's as I consider them to be very good projectors with some of the best images out there but at your price point and wanting 3D you are not going to get one.Even if you upped your budget it would be second hand with no warranty and you would probably have to get a new bulb within the year and they cost approx £200 so all in it would cost more like £1500. Therefore the above options I have mentioned all come in at under £1k with new bulbs and warranties which is IMV a better option for your first projector.

Any room will benefit from decorating in darker colours when using a pj, the more walls you can do the better.

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith.

I think it would be more sensible to go with a 3D Optoma, Benq over a used JVC, then at least I've got a warranty for peace of mind.
Unfortunately, a 77" screen is biggest I can go to, I planned to ceiling mount the projector 3.9m away from the screen, is this to far !

Last edited:
For a 77" diagonal the throw for the Optoma HD33/300x(lens to screen distance) needs to be between 8ft-6" to 10ft, see screen calculator below for other models.The newer Optoma HD25/131x will be a similar distance.

Allowing for the fact you are having the screen drop in front of of the plasma and the overall length of the pj the projector will be more or less at the rear of the room mounted on a ceiling fitting.

The benq W1070 hs even a shorter throw of 6-1/2ft-8-1/2ft so one of the Optoma's is probably your better bet.This is of course after demoing to see if rainbows are a problem or not.

Optoma HD33 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

BenQ W1070 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom