Projector help

PaulaB

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have finally got fed up of watching films on a 28in tv. So I am going to change garage from a junk room to a home cinema room. The thing is I know nothing about projectors, Home cinema have some but it mentions LCD DPL HPMI what are they? Most of my dvds are R1 does that have any impact on which projector to buy? Should I buy a new dvd player with progressive scan? (what is that?). In short I need projectors for dummies.

:confused:

Hi,

I have finally got fed up of watching films on a 28in tv. So I am going to change garage from a junk room to a home cinema room.

Good decision !

The thing is I know nothing about projectors,

.......... and you came to the right place.................

Home cinema have some but it mentions LCD DPL HPMI what are they?

...... Sorry...................don't understand - I assume "home cinema" refers to a dealer ? - I don't recognise it anyway.

Most of my dvds are R1 does that have any impact on which projector to buy?

........Nope......................

Should I buy a new dvd player with progressive scan? (what is that?).

I'm sure there's a link in the FAQ which explains progressive scan.............................. you don't have to have a prog scan dvd player, but you'll get better picture quality from one.......

In short I need projectors for dummies.

........ don't we all..... make mine a HS20 :D

You need to decide what kind of budget you have for a projector - at the entry level, £700 will get you into an AE200, c. £8/900 will get you a Z1, c. £1200 will get you an AE300, c. £1400 will get you a Z2, c. £1850 will get you a HS10 and so on. If you're on a budget (and you wouldn't be the only one, then an AE200 and a diy fixed screen (about £30) will rock your world for very little money. You haven't mentioned a sound system - other forum here for that.

Do some reading here, try to get to see some projectors demo'd in decently dark conditions - high ambient light levels in some av dealers rooms make images look gack.....

For impressions, check Calibos or Smurfin's set-ups (Smurfs is in the DIY forum, iirc, Calibos is here - both are in garage conversion size rooms.

All the best,

Sean G.

Thanks I will do that, at the moment I have a 6.1 system with mission fs2a speakers and a marrantz sr6200 amp, but I may upgrade the amp to get 7.1 instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom