1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector help please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paulmc, Apr 25, 2005.

1. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again :hiya:

Have been registered before but lost log in :(

I am after a projector max of £500ish.

I have been looking through the forums for hours and hours but there is so much info, pros and cons I am really stuck.

Where I work we have a Sharp XV-Z1000 with around a 6 foot screen and it looks awesome abviously I have no hope of getting a pic as good as that, even up close I can see no rainbows so I hope this will not be an issue for me.

Ok My room

Projector will sit around 6 meters from screen and I will be 4 meters from screen. screen size can be upto 2.5 meters but I am sure 2 will be big enough. It will only be used for movies in the dark, DLP or LCD, I have no idea as again there is so much info on here. I am quite happy to go for second hand.

It will only have a single DVD into it and I need only one out for sound to got to my Sony AV amp at the front of the room. It will be on the celing at the back of my room as a stand alone for movies.

Being new to projectors much of what is being said goes right over my head anway. I have been looking at the following any pointers / suggestions would be great.

Infocus X1
    Epson TW 10H
    Benq PB6100
    AE 100 or 200

that is prob a pretty poor list size wise and am qiute happy to look at more options if you have them

thanks for your help

cheers

Paul

2. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have an epson TW 10H. First PJ so I can only offer you what I see. Pic Quality has far exceeded my expectations. I have my PJ in my bedroom, on shelf above bed about 13' back, my viewing position is exactly the same, pic size which i have just measured is roughly 47" vertically and 97" horizontally. Only slight screendoor effect, my GF and I did a sunday veg out and watched DVDs all day yesterday and she didn't comment once on the screen door effect. Good set up menu - easy to set up - really cheap - good inputs (dvd is running progressive scan, absolutely amazing pic) - not bad sound from it's internal speaker (listenable) - good colour reproduction. I would definately recommend this PJ to anyone. Got mine from www.ebuyer.co.uk for £565 including next day delivery which cost an extra £3 :D ...

Good luck

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul:

IIRC the X1 is only a 2x colour wheel, which is somewhat slower than the Sharp you've seen so even though you don't see rainbows on the Sharp it doesn't mean you won't see them on the X1.

I think the TW10H is probably the one I'd suggest based on simply reading specs, the two Panny's are now somewhat old, I'd not consider an AE100 but an AE200 could be worth looking at if the price is right.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    May be a few more pennies than the epson but the Benq 5120 is worth looking at. the 6100 you list is primarily a data projector I think though its HC capabilities are well liked...PJ

5. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would audition the 5120. as KraGorn said the 2x colour wheel on the X1 is significantly slower than the sharp's, I have the 6100's bigger brother the 6200 and although it is primarily a video projector as given away by its lack of inputs (you have to use a breakout cable to get component) however when it's all done it is superb, I am very pleased with it. I have heard good things about the 5120 so I would deffinately give it a go!

6. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I have been doing a lot of reading today and it looks like i may have to up my budget.

I read that rainbows are common on the 5120 and also that screen door is present on the TW10 at the size and distance I want. Looking at my room again I think 2.1 to 2.2 meters would be better and viewing distance will be 4 meters.

That said the TW10 is very tempting at just over £500 :confused:

7. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rainbows are quite often blown out of all proportion, some people suffer from them whereas others dont, this is apparently down to how your brain computes information from your eyes, so back on the point. I dont suffer from them I used to see the odd one or two but now not at all, however my mates do, not bad enough to get naussia or headaches but they have said that it detracts from the overall experience. If you audition one and you find you dont see them then the experience will be very good, a DLP has many 'plus' points one of them being excellent contrast ratios. The 5120 will deliver significant performance increases over the TW10 which having seen in action is also a very good projector, the 5120 gets my vote if you are not affected by rainbows, however a second hand Z2 would also be a promising second hand buy if you can find a reliable dealer who would do a dead pixel count etc. Alex

8. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok things have moved on a weeee bit.

Not sure if this can be answered yes or no but here goes.

I dont see rainbows on the Sharp XV-Z1000 at work I think it has a 4 seg wheel and 5 speed.

If I buy a Themescene H30a with 6 seg 4 speed am I likely to see rainbows, prob not that easy to answer I know.

I cant really go demo stuff as I live miles from any good shop that may have these kind of set ups

cheers

Paul

9. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. phelleruk99

phelleruk99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats interesting as i've been considering that deal
    how does the image hold up on that size screen , i can't decide between that and the 92inch one, was concerned about loss of brightness and clarity
    also what sort of distance do you view from

11. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just though the 92 may turn out to be a wee bit small, not sure really. I was thinking that if i went to big I could always just make the image smaller where as I cant the other way round

My projector will be around 6 meters ( I can be flexible ) from the screen and I will be 4 meters.

Funny how my budget did a very big jump in the end.

It was a real hard fight between the PJTX100 and this one but in the end the deal made it for me and the screen was half price. I spen 2 days just reading, think i need glasses now :D

just hope I dont see the rainbows :thumbsup:

12. Catman

Catman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my H30a projector and 106cm screen plus projector ceiling mount from the same company. My projector and I are 4.3 metres from the screen, and I see no pixelation, no rainbows - just a really great picture. The service from the suppliers was very good too, and they are extremely helpful and give good advice. :smashin:

13. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds good to me

thanks

14. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Projector arrived Friday. I must say an excellent service form Discount Electrical. :thumbsup:

I am playing the H30a through a Pio 575 DVD just using the component cables supplied. I do intend buying better cables once i work out the length i need.

The picture is excellent only thing that does bug me is when people move quickly across camera they seem to go out of focus until they slow down or stop. If the camera follows then there is not a problem. This seems to get worse on progressive.

The factory settings are pretty good and there is more than enough adjustment to keep me happy. My kids watched a move through the day and because of the nature of my room It is just like daylight even with the blinds shut, I must say it coped very well. Not upto real move watching standard but very watchable for the kids etc

Rainbows just dont exist during normal move watching. The only time i have seen them is during the credits where you have a black screen with white writing moving up. I can see them then but only if i look very hard. I know I am susceptible to rainbows as they really effect me so well happy with this.

I am using a white sheet on the wall until my screen arrives from the manufacturer. I am projection a 92" image form 3.8 meters (that is it at its max size for that distance) I am 3.9 meters from the screen so the projector is right over my head. I was initially worried re this due to fan noise but I must say that I never even know it is there. I can see no pixilation from that distance even if i am looking for it.

Overall I am very happy with it but I do need to sort out the quick moving out of focus problem. Not sure if this is fixable or not. I do note that the projector at work Sharp Z1000 does the same if you are watching superbikes etc when they move quickly across the screen but the H30a is much worse

Any ideas

15. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i think you may have a point there. I am going to change my dvd player for a Samsung HD 850 it has the Faroudja chip so I will let the dvd do the work and see if it makes any diff.

I was going to buy the tw10h,maybe I should have :confused:

16. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok nearly a year on with my

H30A and Samsung HD850

I must say I still think it is an awesome set up for the money. Not sure the cost now but I would say worth every penny.

I do see very slight Rainbows but never enough to distract me from viewing.

I though this would be just a stepping stone for bigger and better things but I can't really see the point of spending a load more cash for what is probably very little gain. I would recommend the above to anyone.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good to know it's still delivering the goods. :smashin:

A year ago I'd be more inclined to agree that an SD machine was well worth considering, but on the cusp of HiDef it's a big decision to close the door on it for a few years.