1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector from 2.5 meters???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PC_112, Apr 23, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I was about to buy a 42" plasma, but now I started thinking about a projector. I am total newbie in this, so please forgive me if some of the questions sound stupid.

Plasmas look great, but the big picture that I can get with a projector seems great for movies. My room is 3mx3m and the distance from my eyes to the screen will be about 2.5m. What is the biggest picture I will be able to watch from this distance? 60in? How about 90in??

How about a projector for watching movies and documentaries on TV? How about playing X-box? Can a sub 1200 pounds projector be equally good with a plasma for these kind of things?

How about connection with computer? Which is better, a good 42" plasma or a good sub 1200 pounds projector?

I never used a projector before. Apart from the fact that you need a darker room to watch compared with the TV, and that their lamps might need to be changes every couple of years, is there anything else I should know about?

Thanks!!

2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've got a Panasonic AE700, viewed from about 3m on a 92" Beamax 16:9 screen. XBox goes in Component from the MS Hi-Def pack, the PC can go in through the standard VGA input (or a DVI to HDMI convertor), my DVD goes in HDMI and I've still got a Scart socket free if I want to hook Sky up for any reason.

I think it's the business (I've never had a pj before), Soul Calibur and Amped 2 in 720p look amazing and movies take on a whole new feel on a 7-8ft screen. Everyone who has seen it loves it, and it just rolls up out of the way at the end of the night.

I bought a 28" widescreen CRT for normal day to day TV viewing (Panasonic TX28DX1 for £300) and the screen just pulls down to the side (over a bay window) for when the real show starts. All in all for £1200 the projector is a bargain and I know there are even cheaper DLP bargains to be had which are meant to be great too.

Do it, you'll always be wondering what it's like otherwise and in the end a 42" plasma will feel normal (or even small) and you'll be back to square one wanting a bigger image.

3. kingtj

kingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

Do a search here for the Toshiba ET1.
    I as well as others have recently purchased this excellent budget LCD PJ.
    I got mine from oyyy.co.uk for £365 inc delivery. Great first pj.
    For the money its amazing, have a 72" screen in livingroom & 100" in the loft.
    My livingroom is about the same as the room your using.

Hope this is of some help to you.

I am very happy with mine.

4. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    i'm using a themescene h30 (retailing at around £700 or £800 i believe) at just under 3m on a £150 5ft draper pull down screen . this is my first pj and the picture is fantastic for the money,watching films on the box just dose'nt give you that cinematic feel.a familiar cliche i know but true never the less