1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector for Office and Home use

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BigTone, Jun 6, 2003.

1. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Dear All,

I'm looking for a projector that will by useful for both PC presentations and also home cinema, so I need a trade off.
    Any idea's - price would be nice under 2K

Tony

2. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tony,

i'm sure you'll see from the recent posts on this (and the AVS forums) that the current favourites in that price range are the Sony-HS10 (just above 2k), the Panasonic AE300, the Sanyo PLV-Z1 or the Infocus X1 (to name but a few).

The Sony is probably the best overall but a fir bit more expensive than the others. As a Panny owner myself I can definitely recommend it.

3. markrushton

markrushton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a sanyo z1 and don't think it could be used in any room with light. so it would be of little use in an office situation.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Big Tone,

I reckon that the features which make pjs good for presentations in an office environment are not really compatible with good home cinema results - presentation projectors need to be seriously bright, in a conference room environment noise levels aren't really an issue, contrast ranges are different between the two 4:3 projectors are standard for the office, 16:9 (widescreen) projectors are preferable for home cinema and on it goes. Most of the home cinema projectors discussed here are designed specifically for that purpose, their gubbins are designed to give optimal (for price) result with dvd/video material. I would find it nigh on impossible to recommend an all-rounder, maybe someone in the trade might chime in with a recommendation, tho'.

You probably need to decide which of the two roles is going to take precedence - do you want an office projector on which you can watch the occasional movie, or a home cinema projector which will have to make the occasional powerpoint presentation ? Is mobility an important factor - there are quite a few projectors in the office market which will happily fit in a back-pack along with your laptop........ but I wouldn't fancy one of them for a movie room....

food for further thought....

Sean G.