Projector for Gaming only

kikapu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I currently have a panny 50" TV and surround setup in my living room. Am looking to get a projector to use just for gaming so that I can play xbox while girlfriend watches the TV.

was looking at the pocket type projector but have been put off by the fact that the performance isn't that great and the room certainly wont be pitch black most of the time I am using it.

Ideally I would like to be able to plug the xbox 360 directly into the projector as I would like to avoid having to put it through the amp as this would stop GF watching eastenders or whatever and defeats the whole object of what I would try to achieve.

Also thought it was a better option to get a projector rather than have two TVs in the living room!! Reminds me of Old Only Fools and Horses!!! :)

Thinking second hand might be a good route and the HD65 was mentioned. Any recommendations? Or shall I just go for a flat panel TV (could only afford around a 40" one :( )

Budget was around £200 to £300 hence thinking second hand was the best route!!!

You have to remember the projector won't produce any sound so you'll have to have a separate sound system. In your case I'd probably just get myself a cheap telly off the classifieds. If you have a spare room somewhere that you can set up as a cinema room, then get the projector!

You have to remember the projector won't produce any sound so you'll have to have a separate sound system. In your case I'd probably just get myself a cheap telly off the classifieds. If you have a spare room somewhere that you can set up as a cinema room, then get the projector!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know I could get a cheapish TV but then at the moment am used to using a 50" panel so anything less than that will be a step backwards. And 50" panels are not that cheap even second hand.

Also I was looking at using it in the same room and at the same time as the TV so girlfriend can watch TV and I can be happy playing FIFA :) and she then cant say we arent spending time together as am in the same room ;) so this is where having a seperate room falls down as she would never see me then!!!! :clap:

I am not bothered if I am not getting any sound as the TV will most likely be on. If however I am alone :devil: I can then either put the output from the xbox via the amp to the pj getting 5.1 sound or just use it via amp and panel as I am at present.

Cause of the all the above I thought of a projector. Who really wants two TVs sets in there living room!!??:rolleyes:

Also I was looking at using it in the same room and at the same time as the TV so girlfriend can watch TV and I can be happy playing FIFA :)

Will the girlfriend be okey with absolutely no lamps being on when she watches Eastenders? Because otherwise you will get tired of watching your horrible projector image REAL fast.

The light from the TV alone will really diminish the quality of your projected image. If you have even a single lamp on... well, don't expect to be able to make out what's going on in dark scenes. Some of the night scenes in the Halo games would be downright unplayable. I don't mean ugly (well, ok, that too), I mean you won't be able to see what's happening. At all.

Either play in another room or just bite the bullet and get Eastenders onto the projector. Then you can play afterwards and she can't complain since she's getting her favourite show on the big screen :)

Will the girlfriend be okey with absolutely no lamps being on when she watches Eastenders? Because otherwise you will get tired of watching your horrible projector image REAL fast.

The light from the TV alone will really diminish the quality of your projected image. If you have even a single lamp on... well, don't expect to be able to make out what's going on in dark scenes. Some of the night scenes in the Halo games would be downright unplayable. I don't mean ugly (well, ok, that too), I mean you won't be able to see what's happening. At all.

Either play in another room or just bite the bullet and get Eastenders onto the projector. Then you can play afterwards and she can't complain since she's getting her favourite show on the big screen :)

Well I was wondering what it would be like in a light room! Or at least a room with a light on!! I thought that the hd65 might be acceptable in a dim room. Certainly wouldn't expect her to sit in the room in darkness.

May have to rethink based on this!!! Maybe I need a games room!!! ;)

We ALWAYS need a game room ;-)

there are projectors which are usably in a bright environment but then we are mostly talking projectors intended for office usage. They can be very bright but are not geared towards showing anything dark so they would only really be usable during bright scenes. And they aren't widescreen. And they suck.

A gaming og movie projector really needs a dark room.

and she then cant say we arent spending time together as am in the same room ;)

not gonna work lol...unless your doing what shes doing (watching HER show) its not the same to a female...been there done that...

The HD65 is a good choice as games are 16:9 and minimum 720p just like the HD65, and they are a light canon suitable for rooms with ambiant light too. You can find one in the classifieds for within your budget but as said before you will need a surround system. Or at least a surround bar.

Last edited:
kikapu - HeavenlyWarrior's advice on the HD65 is good. I've been using the Sanyo PLV-Z4 for the last few years, upgrading soon, and play the odd game whilst Common Sense watches bewilderingly crap TV :-D I still route everything via the AMP but don't use the speakers for the projector, I simply plug headphones into the amp and output that way

he still wont find games playable though if there is a TV switched on in the same room, any point he needs to track things in a darkened area he'll be stuffed.

I'd say you are better off with a telly, you can get 50in 720p tellies quite cheap brand new nowadays, maybe get it on a PayPlan, altho as you say, it means two tellies in same room.

Maybe you should just buy a pocket projector and grab yourself a corner of the room :p

Thanks for the responses guys.

I had until today given up on the idea of a projector and decided on a 42" plasma (£360) and new/2nd hand xbox to go in the bedroom so would have the two options for gaming. But have once again been tempted by projectors!!

Based on the advice on hereand videos seen on you tube I will use the projector in a separate room from main tv so I can get the room dark.

Now in dark conditions from what I have seen the Optoma Pk301 looks quite good, although I was still keen on a second hand hd65 but am a bit worried i will get one and bulb will go and will be an extra £140 for a new lamp, i have seen you can pick up a new optima hd600x for only £390!!! I think that's a bargain I think I will have to order it tomorrow!!! But just had a few questions if I am blown away with this projector are there any issues in using it as a tv replacement? ie using it 7 or 8 hours a day apart from the lighting issue!etc

Any reason I shouldn't order one?

Also what's the easiest/cheapest way to get a 5.1 system for my xbox?

Thanks guys

You can use it as a tv replacement, it will just burn through the bulb a lot quicker. I did it before, problem is there isn't so much of a wow factor when u do turn the projector on though as you get used to the big screen.
You can get one of the 5.1 surround kits pretty cheaply, especially if you go secondhand. Something like the sony htss1300 for example, which you can probably pick up for a hundred quid or so now would get you going and sound good. There are loads of brands and models out there, that's one I've heard myself though, but anything like that would do the job.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom