1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector for all TV uses?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lester's Cloud, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Lester's Cloud

Lester's Cloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to projectors etc, but learning from here!

I am very interested in getting a pj, however if I get one the TV would need to be sold to help pay for it!

I am curious, would you advise using a pj for all TV uses, everyday viewing, video, etc? Including daytime viewing with out shutting the curtains.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lester's Cloud

2. sanjay

sanjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the cash then Sony VPL-11HT is a very good unit.
    It will work well in most light conditions and quality output is
    excellent.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    A lot of people here wouldn't recommend it. However, I did just that and now only use my pj for TV viewing and love it. You can see what I mean in my photos in my links.

If you are new to projectors, there are a lot of things to check out.
    CRT vrs LCD vrs DLP! is the big one. Depending on who you speak to you'll get different opinions.
    I learnt a huge amount at an event held last year at Stereo Stereo. I knew what I could aim for, afford and what I could live with.

My best advice is get a demo!!!

To give you a rough guideline, my pj uses about 90 hours a month on the lamp, set to eco mode. That would give me approx. 4 years of use with the lamp (if it went all the way to 5000 hours). At £150 or so to replace, for me that's excellent value.

Remember, if you have Sky as a TV source, then you'd need at least a S Video output to get a decent picture. I convert my RGB out to S Video and it's quite good. The bigger the pic = easier to see flaws on low quality source. That means things like videos too, which I no longer really use.

Demo, Demo Demo!

4. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use my PJ as my only tv and it's fine, as long as you keep the curtains closed. If you can live with that then it isn't a problem.

T.